2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 12:05 PM by erolst

Fossilized trying to store summary fields from a layout in a table

PieterStaes

Hi all,

I'm extremely new to filemaker and am completely stuck and yes, this is not even urgent anymore, it is beyond the end of times :-(

I have a layout of products a-z sold in various branches 1-8 on different dates (this is a portal based on a join table branches & products).

I use a subsummary part (branch ID) which breaks my list up into branches, so I get a list of products a-z if they have been sold

I then use another subsummary part (product ID) which breaks each branch up into products, so I get a list of all the instances (with different dates) the same product is sold .

Placing summary fields for quantity sold and value sold (qty * price) in the subsummary parts allows me to neatly see the total quantity and total value of all instances products a-z are sold per branch.

And here comes da pain.... Now I need to find a way to store the results of the summary fields in the subsummary parts in a table (can even be the same table), since I want to use them as stock out for my stock table (which is a different one). If this was excell, I could simply make a sum of each subsummary part and have the data stored, but in filemaker I am this stuck in the mud I'm  about to fossilize....

Anybody any ideas? Off to bed now, 1.42am. Many thanks already!.   

Pieter

• 1. Re: Fossilized trying to store summary fields from a layout in a table
          coherentkris

you could always write a scripted process to do the calculations and store them as records in a table.

• 2. Re: Fossilized trying to store summary fields from a layout in a table
            erolst

PieterStaes wrote:

And here comes da pain.... Now I need to find a way to store the results of the summary fields in the subsummary parts in a table (can even be the same table), since I want to use them as stock out for my stock table (which is a different one). If this was excell, I could simply make a sum of each subsummary part and have the data stored, but in filemaker I am this stuck in the mud I'm  about to fossilize....

Since this is FileMaker , you can get the value per sub-summary part using the calculation

GetSummary ( summaryField ; sortFieldOfSubSummaryPart )

Create another summary field sCountAll (= count of primary key), and write a script like this:

# find your records

# sort by product(ID)

Go to Record ( First )

Loop

Set Variable [ $countThisGroup ; GetSummary ( sCountAll ; sortField ) ]

Set Variable [ $sumThisGroup ; GetSummary ( summaryField ; sortField ) ]

Set Field [ Table::fieldWhereToStoreTheResult ; $sumThisGroup ]

Exit Loop If [ Get ( RecordNumber ) + $countThisGroup > Get ( FoundCount ) ]

End Loop