5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 3:32 PM by JimBrear

Filemaker on Mac El Capitan 10.11.3

JimBrear

We do most of our work in the Windows environment.

I only have a couple of clients using Macs, and I am really outside my comfort zone working with them.

I am trying to install Server 14 on a MacBook pro 13" with a 128 gig SSD.  Eventually we want to use this as a standby server.

Having overcome the hassle of having to buy an extra connector just to plug in an Ethernet cable went  to install server 14 today.

The machine has one user who is the administrator.  I have previously install a FM14 Client and Team Viewer on this computer but wanted to be sure all the network side was OK  before installing Server.

The installation went well  with account passwords being accepted and no problems with the license key, until I received the following error towards the  completion of the install.

Error Creating Folder 1008:9, -5000 Access denied error.

Then

You do not have enough access privileges for this installation.

The Administrator of the computer does not have enough access privileges.  The local Mac Dealer does not have a clue what is going on.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Jim Brear

• 1. Re: Filemaker on Mac El Capitan 10.11.3
          taylorsharpe

Was FMS on here before and did you remove it?  If you don't have other things on there that you need, I would just do a fresh install of Mac OS X (reboot - Command R) and wipe the drive and reinstall the Mac OS X to get a fresh copy.  Also, sometimes an account gets messed up and you can solve that by creating a new account and running the install from that account.  But if I were having such issues, I would be worried about moving forward with a FMS install and would feel better with a fresh Mac OS X install. 

• 2. Re: Filemaker on Mac El Capitan 10.11.3
            TS_Ham

Hi Jim,

Also please make sure you are using the latest FileMaker Server 14 installation file which should be FileMaker Server 14.0.4 as this is required at minimum for installation on OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).

Software Update: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 | FileMaker

Kind regards,

TS_Ham

• 3. Re: Filemaker on Mac El Capitan 10.11.3
              JimBrear

Thanks TS_Ham

Doing a full 14.0.41instal was the answer.  This has been a good lesson in the fragile nature of the Mac OS / Filemaker Server relationship.

10.11.3 was not compatible with the standard Server 14.0.1. install. 

Glad most of my Clients are on Windows Server. 

Again, thanks for the information.

Best Wishes

Jim Brear

COAMAS Services

PO Box 1542 Armidale NSW 2350

Mobile Phone: 0429 428 700

Home Office Phone: (02) 6772 3933

email:  <mailto:jbrear@coamas.com.au> jbrear@coamas.com.au

Web   <http://www.coamas.com.au/> http://www.coamas.com.au

COAMAS - Community Options, Advocacy, Management and Accounting Software

• 4. Re: Filemaker on Mac El Capitan 10.11.3
                taylorsharpe

Most upgrades aren't this "fragile".  What is happening here is that some security was changed at the OS level that has to be matched with the FMS version.  That is why it is picky about having a recent install.  This also happened about SSLs on the 13.0v5 to v9 upgrade too that fixed the Poodle attack issue.  The same type of issue can happen on Windows versions too.  It is always good to keep current on both the service and OS versions for security sake.  There is always the tension that jumping on the very latest version may have an unfixed bug though.  Basically production server upgrades need to be done after reviewing the release notes and after making plans for what if the upgrade doesn't work, that you have the ability and time to restore to the older version.  As a developer, I usually test these setups on my development machine before doing it on client machines, but not everyone can easily do that. 

• 5. Re: Filemaker on Mac El Capitan 10.11.3
                  JimBrear

Thanks for that information.  Explains the situation well.  I am completely Windows based and always run latest OS releases on my own machines before recommending to clients.

I have virtually no exposure to Macs, and do not keep up with Mac related issues as well as I should, obviously.

Best Wishes

Jim Brear

COAMAS Services

PO Box 1542 Armidale NSW 2350

Mobile Phone: 0429 428 700

Home Office Phone: (02) 6772 3933

email:  <mailto:jbrear@coamas.com.au> jbrear@coamas.com.au

Web   <http://www.coamas.com.au/> http://www.coamas.com.au

COAMAS - Community Options, Advocacy, Management and Accounting Software