4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 12:36 PM by sreese

Server 14 patch 4a on Windows Server 2012 r2 issues

sreese

Recently we updated our FileMaker server from patch 3 to patch 4 and then 4a respectively and we have been having some strange issues. I will do my best to outline them here.

First off server configuration: (x2)

• Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
      • FileMaker Server 14 patch 4a
      • Dual Xeon 10 core hyper threaded processors (40 cores)
      • 256gb of ram

The only other software running on the servers is Kaspersky.

FileMaker server is setup with the following settings:

• Webserver with PHP and XML enabled
      • Web publishing engine enabled
      • ODBC / JDBC Enabled
      • A nightly backup
      • External Authentication is enabled

Desktop Clients:

FileMaker Pro 13 update 9

To the problem:

Ever since we updated to the latest server we have several scripts that are not working properly that worked properly before the upgrade. The weird part is that they only do not work the first time through.

We have a legacy ersatz system that sets things like user keys and names. (Please note we also have EA running, but we haven't gotten to the point we can remove the ersatz system). The script would not work the first time, but it was resolved by putting a hidden field on the layout. It had to be displayed, not hidden by calculation or off the side of the layout.

I have a navigation system that uses SQL to calculate the Go To Layout (Post explaining it: Easy ways to update layout references). This sql query won't work the first time after the file is loaded, but it will work all subsequent times.

There are a couple of other instances that this problem shows up, but it is all the same type of thought process. It is as if all of the tables do not load correctly or right away and it requires an attempt to access that table to make it proper.

I'll do my best to answer any clarifying questions.

• 1. Re: Server 14 patch 4a on Windows Server 2012 r2 issues
          TSPigeon

sreese:

Thank you for your post.

I'm not seeing any reports related to this in the 14.0.4a update. If I could get some more information from you:

-Do you have SSL enabled and a Supported Certificate in place?

-Were you running on Server 14.0.4 for any period of time before running the 4a update?

-If so, were your scripts working as expected (if not, could we back down to 14.0.412 before 4a)?

-Do these issues occur when accessing with FileMaker Pro 14.0.5?

-Are you using any Plug-Ins and have they been updated?

-Could you run script debugger and give some script samples where you see the issue and how they are being triggered? (I did read over Easy ways to update layout references, but specific steps or groups of steps may help narrow this down)

-Stepping through with the Data Viewer open may shed some light on this as well.

I look forward to your response!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Server 14 patch 4a on Windows Server 2012 r2 issues
            sreese

Do you have SSL enabled and a Supported Certificate in place? - We are not currently using an SSL Certificate

-Were you running on Server 14.0.4 for any period of time before running the 4a update? - We were running patch 3 prior.

-If so, were your scripts working as expected (if not, could we back down to 14.0.412 before 4a)? - Its possible, but the next maintenance window isn't for 3 weeks. its in use 24 / 7 so taking it down is a chore.

-Do these issues occur when accessing with FileMaker Pro 14.0.5?

Here is a break down of where they occur: (All windows, we don't have any macs for testing)

• 13 Advanced update 9 - occurs
            • 13 Pro update 9 - occurs
            • 13 Pro older prior patches - occurs
            • 14 Advanced (32 and 64 bit) Unpatched through patch 5 - Doesn't occur
            • 14 Pro (32 bit unpatched) - Doesn't occur

-Are you using any Plug-Ins and have they been updated? - I have tried both with and without plugins, no go either way.

-Could you run script debugger and give some script samples where you see the issue and how they are being triggered?- The SQL query will not return any results. I tried putting a wait of 5 seconds in and it still doesn't work until after the script finishes.

Upgrading to 14 really isn't an option for us. We have the licensing, but it breaks every single one of our print layouts and they all have to be recreated. Plus we still experience a good number of crashes in the script editor. All of the testing above was done specifically on the SQL script. I can't test the login script as it would break it for everyone else.

Sorry for the delay, I had to install all of the regular versions on my machine as I only really keep advanced on my development machine.

• 3. Re: Server 14 patch 4a on Windows Server 2012 r2 issues
              TSPigeon

sreese:

It's interesting that the issues only occur Pre-FileMaker Pro 14. Would it be possible for you to set up a sample file that reproduces this issue and get it to us? Sending a Message to your Inbox with further information.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Server 14 patch 4a on Windows Server 2012 r2 issues
                sreese

I went ahead and created a clone and imported the required navigation tables and emailed it over to you.

Thanks,

Scott