I have setup a script to export a contacts list as an Excel file onto the desktop from my client's file which work fine on my computers but he gets the error message below. Does any know what the problem might be?
at Export Records/ Specify output file specify the the variable instead of a full path.
This is an echo of an OS Level error when creating the file.
The error message lists the 3 possible causes:
The OS will not accept the file name "Contacts Complete List"
The disk does not have enough available space for the file.
Permissions in the destination location are blocking create.
Thank you. So to break it down;
1. I don't see the name would be a problem as its just a name unless I am missing something.
2. Client says disk space is not the problem (its a very small file anyway).
3. This seems to be the likely option but is this something on the client's computer they need to change? Perhaps an OS privacy setting?
What is your path to the file and what is the clients path?
If you construct a path say to the desktop as follows, you should be fine:
Set Variable[ $path : Get ( DesktopPath ) & "Contacts Complete List.xlsx"]
Export[ $path ]
A couple of things to investigate.
1) The filename/filepath. - Did you hard code the filename and filepath? if so are they using OS and you windows (or vice versa)? as the file structure is different on the different operating systems ("/" as opposed to "\" etc) -0 Better to use Get(DesktopPath) to set a variable to then pass that into the filename.
2) Is the file already open on the clients computer when they try to do an export? in which case the file is locked so cannot be exported by FileMaker until it is closed.
Thank you Ruben,
I have scripted the Set Variable (see below as may or may not be correct) but I am not too clear how to add the second part 'Export[ $path]. The only command I can see is 'Export Records'. Sorry, still learning this and hope you can help.
Thank you Mark,
This is something I am not clear on. I have not allowed for different computers and only set up the export on my computer so I need to know how to do this. How exactly would I set it up to use Get(DesktopPath)?
Nearly every time I've seen this error message, it's turned out that there was a file of the same name in the same directory already open on the client's computer, and FM couldn't overwrite it while it was open. Instead of a more specific error, FM throws this one.
That may not be the problem in this case, but take it from me, it's worth checking, and saving yourself a lot of hunting around.
Thanks Chris and I appreciate your reply. So just to clarify, the file is set to go to the desktop. On my computer if I hit the Export script again it just writes over the previous one. In my client's case are you saying this causes a conflict if there is already a file of the same name on his desktop? We are both using Macs by the way.
Thank you again. I've set up and will get my client to test but its looking good.
If the client has the original file open, FM can't "write over" it, and you'll get this message.
Retrieving data ...