7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2016 6:19 AM by bigtom

ODBC connection errors on Windows 2012

bigtom

I am setting up a test server using Windows Server 2012. Overall things are good. I am having trouble with the ODBC driver.

I think I have done everything correctly.

• I opened port 2399 in the firewall. Inbound rule.
      • Installed the drivers.
      • Setup the DSN. When testing I keep getting Test Failed , Failed to connect to listener (3)

When connecting to the same ESS database with OSX running FMS using the same credentials everything is fine. The install instructions are very vague actually. I saw some mention of making sure some file/folder was read/write but I seem to have lost that note. I cannot find what the specific error is for though. The driver will connect to localhost and see FM databases, so I think the drivers are ok. I suspect this is something to do with the port on the FMS. Maybe I set that up wrong?

I tried setting up the DSN with the IP and hostname, but neither worked.

• 1. Re: ODBC connection errors on Windows 2012

Could you try a JDBC connection test to see if that works?

I could post a boilerplate Java program if that might help.

(no DSN needed.)

-m

• 2. Re: ODBC connection errors on Windows 2012
            wimdecorte

bigtom wrote:

I am setting up a test server using Windows Server 2012. Overall things are good. I am having trouble with the ODBC driver.

I think I have done everything correctly.

• I opened port 2399 in the firewall. Inbound rule.
            • Installed the drivers.
            • Setup the DSN. When testing I keep getting Test Failed , Failed to connect to listener (3)

When connecting to the same ESS database with OSX running FMS using the same credentials everything is fine. The install instructions are very vague actually. I saw some mention of making sure some file/folder was read/write but I seem to have lost that note. I cannot find what the specific error is for though. The driver will connect to localhost and see FM databases, so I think the drivers are ok. I suspect this is something to do with the port on the FMS. Maybe I set that up wrong?

I tried setting up the DSN with the IP and hostname, but neither worked.

You seem to be mixing a few things here:

- port 2399 is FMS' ODBC port, to allow other applications to read/write data to fM

- then you say you installed the drivers and created a DSN: what drivers?  To allow other applications to have access to FM data you don't need to install any drivers on FMS or create a DSN there.  You need to do that on the machine where the other application lives

- you mention ESS: that would require the ESS source's ODBC driver to be installed on FMS and a DSN to be created using those drivers.  But that has nothing to do with port 2399 or FM's drivers

Is it an ESS setup that you are after?  If so, to what source and what drivers did you install?

• 3. Re: ODBC connection errors on Windows 2012
              bigtom

wimdecorte,

I think you are on the right track here. The documentation for setting this up in OSX is much more detailed. I am trying to connect to a MySQL database. I needed drivers from MySQL :: Download Connector/ODBC and that was somehow obvious in the rearview.

• 4. Re: ODBC connection errors on Windows 2012
                wimdecorte

It always is, isn't it?

Keep this article in mind to pick the right driver version for your combination of FMS and version of MySQL:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6420

Picking the wrong MySQL driver for the wrong backend/FMS version can cause all sorts of grief.

• 5. Re: ODBC connection errors on Windows 2012
                  bigtom

This took a while to narrow down because as a side journey WHM was refusing to whitelist the FMS for remote MySQL connection and I figured that might have been the error. Ended up having to figure that one out first.

• 6. Re: ODBC connection errors on Windows 2012
                    bigtom

wimdecorte wrote:

It always is, isn't it?

Keep this article in mind to pick the right driver version for your combination of FMS and version of MySQL:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6420

Picking the wrong MySQL driver for the wrong backend/FMS version can cause all sorts of grief.

I did see that and 5.2.5 is about 3 years old and looks like it has evolved to 5.2.7. Was not able to find 5.2.5.

• 7. Re: ODBC connection errors on Windows 2012
                      bigtom

The 5.2.7 seems to be working just fine.