8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2016 1:37 PM by jlm

Admin-console event

jlm

Can anyone explain the difference between

06/04/2016 18:16:01

Server Events

Warning

Client "Name (PC) [IP]" no longer responding; connection closed. (10)

and

06/04/2016 18:16:01

Server Events

Warning

Client "Name (PC) [ip]" no longer responding; connection closed. (51)

?

• 1. Re: Admin-console event
          wimdecorte

10 happens when the server tries to send an update or something to the client and the update fails. It will consider it disconnected and through error 10.

51 happens as part of FileMaker Pro or Go every 60 seconds or so "tickling" the server to see if it's still there. If the server doesn't receive a tickle after about two minutes, it assumes the client is gone and disconnects the session.

• 2. Re: Admin-console event
            jlm

Thanks Wim

Do you know were I can get further info?

• 3. Re: Admin-console event
              wimdecorte

What kind of further info are you after?

These errors could be anything from users closing the lid on their laptop to spotty wifi, to bad cabling or a bad port on a switch or on the machine or the server.  Or the user's FM crashing or them force quitting.

So there is a wide range of potential issues that would lead to these symptoms.

• 4. Re: Admin-console event
                jlm

Your answer pretty much covers it. Can a screen saver on activation create such an error?

• 5. Re: Admin-console event
                  wimdecorte

The screensaver itself wouldn't but any power-saving settings on the client machine or server could.

Obviously you don't want any of that enabled on the server but on the client you may not be able to avoid it.

• 6. Re: Admin-console event
                    jlm

OK.

I'm trying to eliminate all possible causes to a recurrent crash where users are unable to work and clients are not released. Error 701 WPE is the primary suspect but I need to understand every event in the admin console.

• 7. Re: Admin-console event
                      wimdecorte

The other useful place to look is the FMS stats.log.  It's not on by default so toggle it on.  Watch for any spikes especially in the elapsed time per call / wait time per call around the time if the server becomes unresponsive.

The WPE error would not typically affect any Pro / Go clients.

• 8. Re: Admin-console event
                        jlm

That was my theory, also. When using FMS 12 I had this 701 error and it did not affect Pro users. IWP didn't, but I don't have much info on WebD so I don't know if this is still true.

Now when I have a crash, only by rebooting the server I can reset the DBs.

I have FileMaker testing trying to figure it out but with no luck up to now.

This weekend I'm reinstalling FileMaker Server (and Java) hoping to solve the problem.