8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 5:12 AM by TomHays

Accessing FM11 DB from FM14?

I want to set up access to my colleague's database in FM11 from my computer using FM14. I should be able to access the data in the FM11 database with my FM14 right without a problem, right? This is a database of product orders. I want to be able to import orders into the database when my colleague goes on vacation. I can set up a remote access and know how to export the orders, etc. Just want to be sure I can work with his FM11 without a hitch from my FM14! Thanks!

• 1. Re: Accessing FM11 DB from FM14?
          Vaughan

CyberDebMarin wrote:

I should be able to access the data in the FM11 database with my FM14 right without a problem, right?

No, FM 11 files do not work with later versions. You will need to convert the FM11 database to FM12 format (which works with FM12 and later). Just open the file in the later version to convert it.

• 2. Re: Accessing FM11 DB from FM14?

Thank you Vaughan - that info helps a lot!

• 3. Re: Accessing FM11 DB from FM14?
              Vaughan

If you are only using the database temporarily, it might be better to get a copy of FMP 11 and avoid converting it. The reason being that there is no way to save the newer version back to the older version. The 30 day trial might be long enough.

http://fmdl.filemaker.com/TBUB/eleven/fmp_trial_fm_11.0.4.401b.dmg

http://fmdl.filemaker.com/TBUB/eleven/fmp_trial_fm_11.0.3.312.exe

• 4. Re: Accessing FM11 DB from FM14?
                davidempson

Unfortunately connecting FM14 to FM11 won't work. The file format changed in FileMaker 12, which means FM12 and later cannot connect to FM11 or earlier via a network, nor can FM12 or later write to FM11 database files. (FM14 uses the same file format as FM12, with minor additions for new features.)

FileMaker Pro 12 and later can convert a FM11 database to the new file format, but it is a one way trip.

It is possible to exchange data across the 11/12 barrier via exporting and importing in other file formats (e.g. tab-separated text files) but that may be too complex to set up at short notice.

The easiest solution is to have both computers running the same version of FileMaker Pro, so you can use a network connection between them. That would require your colleague upgrading to FM14 (which will be a full price purchase in the case of an individual licence, since upgrade pricing now requires FM12 at a minimum), or you getting hold of another licence for FM11 (which FileMaker Inc. doesn't sell any more, not even as a "downgrade" from later versions).

Another option: might your colleague be OK with you remotely controlling his computer while he is away? That way you can operate FM11 directly on his computer.

• 5. Re: Accessing FM11 DB from FM14?
                  keywords

CyberDebMarin wrote:

I want to set up access to my colleague's database in FM11 from my computer using FM14 … I want to be able to import orders into the database when my colleague goes on vacation …

Further to what Vaughan says, be aware that you will be working with a xx.fm12 copy of your colleague's xx.fp7 data. You will be able to access his data within that version, but what happens when he returns to work? You will NOT be able to directly pass back to him any changed or new data from your version, as fm12 is not backwards compatible. Will this be an issue for you?

• 6. Re: Accessing FM11 DB from FM14?

Understood.

David & keywords ~ Got it. Understand the 11/12/14 barrier and inability to save from newer versions to older versions. I guess it is time for an Upgrade!

"The easiest solution is to have both computers running the same version of FileMaker Pro, so you can use a network connection between them." And, this might actually be the best solution for now, "Another option: might your colleague be OK with you remotely controlling his computer while he is away? That way you can operate FM11 directly on his computer."

Thank you again.

• 7. Re: Accessing FM11 DB from FM14?
                      monkeybreadsoftware

you could also use ODBC to query things in FM 11 if you need live updates and can't convert the database.

• 8. Re: Accessing FM11 DB from FM14?
                        TomHays

CyberDebMarin wrote:

I want to set up access to my colleague's database in FM11 from my computer using FM14. ... when my colleague goes on vacation.

You may want to consider setting up access to your colleague's computer instead of just the database.  Screen sharing/ remote access would accomplish what you need.  You would remotely control the computer, display, and mouse without having to be physically there.  This may be the least hassle for those times when the vacation occurs.

-Tom

Edit:

If you are on the same LAN, that's best so that your network firewall will prevent anybody outside from gaining the same access.

If you are elsewhere on the Internet, you can set up a VPN to bridge the networks.

Your business IT staff may have already arranged both protections.