2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2016 2:24 PM by SGohring

Filemaker crashes during Send Mail script step if there is no local OST File.

SGohring

I have multiple databases hosted over a couple different servers all running FMS 14.04, clients are running anything from FM 11.x to FM 14.05. Several of the databases have basic send mail scripts that loop through the found set of records collecting email addresses and then calling to Outlook to create a new email and paste those addresses into the To: field. Pretty basic.

Recently my company just migrated all email accounts to the cloud. From what I have been told during the move they changed a setting in everyone's Outlook to not store a local OST file on the machine (not run outlook in cached mode).

This change has made the send mail script crash FileMaker when it is run even if Outlook is already open. I have found that changing the clients Outlook setting to run in cached mode fixes the crashing email. However doing this can cause Outlook data to be inaccurate (particularly with shared calendars).

My question or maybe this should be a feature request: Is there a way other than SMTP to accomplish a send mail script step with no local OST file present on the machine?

• 1. Re: Filemaker crashes during Send Mail script step if there is no local OST File.
          mikebeargie

First off:

I have multiple databases hosted over a couple different servers all running FMS 14.04, clients are running anything from FM 11.x to FM 14.05.

How exactly are your filemaker 11 clients connecting to a filemaker 14 server?

Secondly

Is there a way other than SMTP to accomplish a send mail script step with no local OST file present on the machine?

Yes, you can use a plugin like outlook manipulator from productive computing to establish a more reliable connection to outlook. SMTP, being a little more generic though, makes the native script step a lot more compatible. There are other plugins like 360works Email2 that even work with IMAP as well. There are other techniques to to utilize email APIs but it sounds like that's not what you're after.

FileMaker made updates after v11 that make plugin installs quite easy to manage. Plugins negate the need to use filemaker's built-in send mail script step completely. As you've proven, the reliance on the send mail script step on the fragility of the OS's default mail programs is definitely your issue. You've already solved your problem with a fix there. If the fix isn't acceptable, you'll have to explore the other options.

Incidentally, this is why stuff like advanced QA testing is important before you make a sweeping change to an entire environment. It's definitely too late now, but you have to work with what the IT department gave you.

SMTP is usually compatible with exchange account, so if you're only sending outbound communications to contacts from filemaker, why the resistance? You can setup a simple blank email message interface in filemaker to get the subject and body as well, bypassing the need for outlook entirely.

• 2. Re: Filemaker crashes during Send Mail script step if there is no local OST File.
            SGohring

My apologies that was poorly worded.

We have multiple databases hosted on a couple different servers and clients that have their own local databases that we provide support for as well. The point was just to explain that we have seen this be an issue on databases of various versions as far back as v11 regardless of where they are being stored.

We have purchased Outlook Manipulator in the past for different clients that are needing a more robust communication to Outlook but find it to be far to expensive and overkill for the clients with simple send mail needs. I will look into the 360works plugin you mentioned.

Lastly, the resistance to SMTP for most of the clients is the lack of there being a record of the email being sent in Outlook.

Thank you for the response.