AnsweredAssumed Answered

Slow tabbing in Web Direct

Question asked by jgill@occu-med.com on Apr 8, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 by jgill@occu-med.com

Back in May of last year I had a conversation with a Project Manager at FileMaker about slow tabbing in FileMaker Web Direct.  After describing the issue with slow tabbing, their response was,

"Hey James, here was the response from PM: "WebDirect in 14 actually has fixes to address this issue. I was aware of this issue customers had with 13. We fixed this by implementing client side tabbing wherever possible. When able to do client side tabbing we don’t communicate with server and this is how we improved the performance. Due to the nature of FileMaker and webdirect, not ALL types of fields can be done via client side tabbing. The WebDirect pdf guide (he will be able to see this at launch) talk about what type of fields do client side tabbing.

The gist is to keep the field as simple, as default, as possible. For example (customer should try this to understand the concept) adding default edit fields will use client side tabbing. As soon as validation, script triggers, data formatting, conditional formatting are added we have to use server side tabbing. That should conceptually make sense since we don’t have a Draco engine running in the browser. “

Because these issues were supposedly fixed in Web Direct 14 I let it go until the final release came out.  Now that FM14 has been out for a while, I am still experiencing abysmal performance while tabbing between fields that, according to the above, meet all of the requirements to be a client-side tabbed field.  Unfortunately the PM I was working with no longer works at FileMaker, I have scoured the FileMaker 14 Web Direct User Guide for references to client-side tabbing and found none.

What say you, FileMaker?  What's going on with this?

Outcomes