1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 11:28 AM by siplus

When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?

KenP

I'm looking to upgrade from "FileMaker 14  Pro" to the "Advanced" version of FileMaker.  Does anyone know when FileMaker Pro 15 (or similar upgrade) is likely to be released?

• 1. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
          schamblee

FMI does not release that type information.  FMI usually releases new version about every year and half.  I understand that if you purchase a version of FM and a new version is released within 30 days that you will get a free upgrade to the next version.  I don't work for FMI, so It would be best to call sales.

• 2. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
            rgordon

I believe new versions come with 1 year of maintenance so you would actually have 1 year to upgrade if a new version was released within that year. .

• 3. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
              schamblee

If it is a straight out purchase, you do not have a year to get a free upgrade to the next new version.   FMI offers other annual plans that includes upgrades.  Again, it would be wise to call FMI sales for all the best offers.

• 4. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
                bigtom

Call sales, but FileMaker never released this kind of information.

• 5. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
                  taylorsharpe

As noted above, only insiders at FM really know this.  I think it would be logical that it would be out before their big summer Developers Conference in July, but that is just a guess.  They have said in the past couple of years that they plan to release versions more often than in the past.  But for you to draw your own conclusions, here are the release dates of the last few versions:

14:  May 2015

13:  Dec 2013

12:  April 2012

11:  Mar 2010

10:  Jan 2009

• 6. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
                    psuchad

More and more companies are going with smaller, more frequent releases. On a cash flow perspective, annual releases would be great. Typically FMI releases in spring or winter. I always felt the winter releases were a result of a delay of some sort.

Last release was May 2015. If FMI is going for industry trends, I would bet a release would be in either the next few months or this upcoming winter.

On a side note, I never understood why releases come a month or two before Devcon. Sort of deflates keynote announcements.

• 7. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
                      sreese

Chad Larson wrote:

On a side note, I never understood why releases come a month or two before Devcon. Sort of deflates keynote announcements.

I would imagine it is so developers have time to make things off to show at the conference, but that is just my opinion.

You can upgrade to 14 advanced by purchasing an upgrade. I have no idea on the 15th release date. I would contact FM and ask if they offer some kind of protection if you buy a version and they release the next version in the next few moths. If they don't release until next year you could be waiting for some time.

• 8. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
                        tomasd

FileMaker 15 should be currently in beta:

• 9. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
                          dvaklyes

One year they did introduce a new version at the DevCon Keynote. And promptly made the printed book with the schedule which everybody had useless. There was no way to inteligently plan your day at DevCon, because the session descriptions may or may not have anything to do with the session, which was now about the new version, not the old.

Of course, now they have DevCon2Go, so there could be an update after the KeyNote with the new sessions, but it still causes disruption. I weigh the pros-and-cons of the various sessions over several days leading up to DevCon, and now I would have a few hours to rework the schedule.

Also, it eliminates much of the interactions between participants because some folks have had the new version for several weeks or months, but most folks have no experience with it.

And to answer the original question, my observation is that a new version comes along four to six months or so after folks start asking "When will the next version of FileMaker be released." ;-)

• 10. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
                            richardsrussell

Be advised that the "annual plans that include upgrades" are only available under volume licensing (that is, 5 or more copies of the program). If you just want an individual copy for yourself, your only option is the outright purchase (which, of course, is available at a substantial discount if you're buying an upgrade rather than your first copy).

This limitation is not at all clear on the official FMI website, and I'm sorry it even exists, because I for one would gladly switch over to the subscription service for my one and only copy of FMPA if they'd let me.

• 11. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
                              schamblee

Another poster stated that upgrades were free for a year and I stated they were not  free but that there were some annual plans that included it and they should call for details.   I don't know if the OP only has one copy of FMP.  He stated he wanted to upgrade one copy, which does not mean he only owns one copy.    There is not reason for me to know how many copies he owns or does not own because he would need to talk to FMI sales to get the best deal.

• 12. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
                                KenP

Thanks for the advice. I have spoken to FM about an upgrade to FMPA & have been advised this is not available as my single copy of FMP is a not-for-profit licence. I will need to buy a new copy of FMPA. Unfortunately my sporting club has limited resources so I was hoping to get the benefits of the new version 15. FM have advised me that a new version 15 is on the way but won't advise of the proposed release date. Guess I'll have to settle for FMPA 14.

• 13. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
                                  taylorsharpe

KenP wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I have spoken to FM about an upgrade to FMPA & have been advised this is not available as my single copy of FMP is a not-for-profit licence. I will need to buy a new copy of FMPA. Unfortunately my sporting club has limited resources so I was hoping to get the benefits of the new version 15. FM have advised me that a new version 15 is on the way but won't advise of the proposed release date. Guess I'll have to settle for FMPA 14.

FileMaker will offer you an upgrade price when the new one comes out, it just won't be a free upgrade.  And if you have multiple licenses, they can offer you maintenance or annual licensing that would have no additional cost upgrades.  But if it is just a single copy, you'll probably just have to see what the upgrade price is when 15 comes out of stick with 14.  Keep in mind as a non-profit, you really are getting a pretty good deal and many of us sure wish we could qualify for such a nice break.  I still feel for you because as soon as you buy it, the new version will come out.  And if you hold out, the new version will take a year to come out.  Murphy's law <doh>

• 14. Re: When is FileMaker Pro 15 Expected to be Released?
                                    planteg

Hi Ken,

I don't know which version you are currently using, but FMPA 14 is quite a very nice version. The new Script Workspace  is quite good, a completely new way to create and edit scripts.

If you are missing something very badly with your current version, going to 14 is not a bad move. If you can wait longer to 'upgrade', that can be Ok. But again 14 has lot to offer.

1 2 Previous Next