3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 6:36 AM by bigtom

Auto modify the items whenever i change the parent record.

nt_saurabh

Hi All,

Can i auto modify the items if i change the parent record?

Example - 1. Create a po then select vendor.

2. Enter components then auto enter vendor based on po id.

I want to change the vendor id in PO but as well vendor id should be changed in po items based on po id without using script.

Please go through the attached screen shot.

Thanks for your prompt reply...!!!

• 1. Re: Auto modify the items whenever i change the parent record.
          erolst

Why store a vendor ID in PO items anyway?

(OK, that is intended as a rhetorical question, but if you really think there is a good reason, please tell us.)

In this common setup

Vendor --< PO --< PO Line Items

the vendorID is stored with the PO itself, and since each PO item belongs to (exactly) one PO, it “knows” that PO's vendor, and by extension, the name – which also means that you can simply display that ID (or name) with every PO item (or, more commonly, once for an invoice or other line-item based correspondences).

nt_saurabh wrote:

without using script.

You can't – unless you define an unstored calc field that simply references the vendorID field from PO, but that makes sense only in very few scenarios. If you'd want to store the ID in line items you need a script – auto-enter calcs and lookups cannot be triggered from field changes in related tables, only from “native” ones – or with a script.

• 2. Re: Auto modify the items whenever i change the parent record.
            nt_saurabh

I need this logic because due to custom requirement of project or reporting purpose or value list display from line items instead of PO(Can't make a value list without storing Vendor ID from line items, anyway).

I got your point but i am finding another way to do this thing.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Auto modify the items whenever i change the parent record.
              bigtom

Isn't the vendor ID still a usable related field To the line item?