3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2016 5:25 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Trying to create records in another table

Ben_B94

But it only creates 1 record.

go to layout (locations)

go to record/request [first]

set variable $listLocation ; get(total record count)

set variable $counter ; 1

loop

set variable $location ; Location::location_ id

freeze window // not sure i'm using this right

go to layout [Hire]  

new record/request

set field (Location_fk) ; $location

go to original layout  // this will go back to the locations layout or no?

set variable: $counter ; $counter + 1

go to record/request [next;exit after last] // this doesn't seem to be moving to the next 1?

end loop if [ $counter > $listLocation ]

end loop

Basically trying to create a new record on a different layout for every location record I have. Thanks

• 1. Re: Trying to create records in another table
          Mike_Mitchell

Ben_B94 wrote:

go to original layout  // this will go back to the locations layout or no?

No. It will go back to whatever layout you were on when the script fired off. You need to replace this with:

Go to Layout [ Locations ]

As an aside, you can make this a lot easier (avoid all the layout switching) by using a ListOf summary field to collect all the IDs into a variable and then looping over that. (You can also use one of a number of available Custom Functions to collect the IDs if you don't want to create a new field.)

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Trying to create records in another table
            Ben_B94

Thanks for the prompt reply Mike, changing that has sorted it.

But just as a matter of interest when you say it will return to whatever layout when the script fired off my mistake is thinking that in this case the layout would be the locations one as I set it to go there before the loop? I thought when entering the loop i'm still on locations layout until I do the freeze window and switch to a different one?

• 3. Re: Trying to create records in another table
              Mike_Mitchell

Yep. Key phrase being, "until I switch to a different one." Go to Layout  does exactly that.

The "original layout" is the layout on which the script starts, prior to any steps executing. It should be used carefully for that reason. If you can't predict what that layout will be (and you often can't), explicitly set the context.