5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 2:55 PM by TSGal

Server vs. Client tabbing in Web Direct

jgill@occu-med.com

Product and version
      Tested in FileMaker 14 server 14.0.4.412 and FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.4 & 14.5

OS and version

Server OS Tested: Windows Server 2012 R2
      Client OS Tested: Mac OS X 10.11.4

Browser and version (for WebDirect only)

Internet Explorer 10

Chrome 49.0.2623.112 (64-Bit)

Safari 9.1

Hardware

iMac (Retina 5k, 27-Inch, Late 2014)

Dell PowerEdge R520

Description

Adding a drop-down button to a layout negates all client-side tabbing on that layout

How to replicate

Open & host any one of the starter solutions in FileMaker Pro Advanced 14 on FileMaker Server.  Open the solution and navigate to the Startup page (this page should be blank).  Add a series of fields to the layout and navigate to the layout in Web Direct.  Tabbing through the fields is speedy.

Now add a dropdown button to the layout and try tabbing through the fields.

Workaround (if any)
      Do not use dropdown buttons in layouts in Web Direct that require the user to tab through fields

• 1. Re: Server vs. Client tabbing in Web Direct
          TSGal

jgill:

Thank you for your post.

Here is what I have done:

1. I created a database file with five text fields.

2. In Layout mode, I selected the third field, formatted it as a drop-down list with two values ("Yes" and "No").

3. I then assigned a button to the third field that goes to the fourth field.

4. I set the field for Network Sharing and configured for WebDirect.

5. I uploaded the file to FileMaker Server and accessed the file via WebDirect.

6. There is a delay when tabbing from the second to the third field as the drop-down list is rendered.

7. I remove the button leaving the drop-down menu option.

8. The delay is the same tabbing from the second to the third field.

The same delay occurs if the field is formatted as a Pop-up menu.

Are you only seeing the delay when the field is set as a button?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Server vs. Client tabbing in Web Direct
            jgill@occu-med.com

Sorry I meant popover button, not dropdown list.  The delay in querying the server for the information contained in a dropdown or popover list is completely understandable.

Just add the fields to the layout as standard edit boxes (no need to even have autocomplete or anything turned on) and then add separate popover button onto the layout (the popover button doesn't even have to be configured to do anything).

• 3. Re: Server vs. Client tabbing in Web Direct
              TSGal

jgill:

Thank you for the clarification.

I am able to replicate the performance issue with a Popover button present on a layout when accessing the file via WebDirect (Mac and Windows) using all browsers.

I have sent your information, along with my findings, to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Server vs. Client tabbing in Web Direct
                jgill@occu-med.com

Hi,

I have another case of an specific circumstance forcing forcing server-side tabbing for all fields on a layout.  It looks as if switching the layout to a List View will result in all fields switching to server-side tabbing.

Thanks,

James

• 5. Re: Server vs. Client tabbing in Web Direct
                  TSGal

jgill:

Testing and Development are already aware of this issue, and they have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.