AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do people preserve data content when developing?

Question asked by douglerner on Apr 13, 2016
Latest reply on May 17, 2016 by beverly

There doesn't seem to be any good way of separating the data from the schema (layouts, scripts, connections, etc.). So how on earth do people keep things straight to prevent overwriting data changes made by the end customer?

For example, in our situation, we have:

1. My client's database hosted at FMPHost.

2. A developer working on bug fixes, changes and enhancements on his dev server elsewhere.

So far he's been making changes, letting me download the new database at different stages for testing, and I've been replacing the database at FMPHost with new database versions from him.

But now we are at a point where my client wants to actually start using the database, and adding new records,  and/or changing existing records. Yet development of new features, and bug fixes to existing features are ongoing. And since people have new ideas all the time, adjustments will be ongoing for the foreseeable future.

How do people deal with that? If my client adds new records what's a best practice to make sure the developer can add his updates without me losing the changes in records in the database.

Thanks,

doug

Outcomes