I only have one windows server and I remember I had some issues with write permissions for the FMS installer at some point. I do not recall if this was the part I had an issue.
A combination of reinstalls (and another restart) has fixed it, and the FMS installer didn't attempt to install ARR3 this time.
I'm not sure what did it but I manually installed the following
- URL Rewrite module v2
- Web Farm Framework v1 (because v2 wouldn't install)
- Microsoft web platform installer v5 **
- Application routing request v3
I don't have the External Cache module installed even though it is an ARR3 pre-requesite
Even after all this Java kept crashing and Webdirect was not working (and the admin console wouldn't work). It turns out that the Virtual Machine provided was a cut down version of Server 2012 R2 that only took up a few gigs (less than 5). I re-installed server 2012 R2 and ran all the updates and now Server 2012 is taking up over 10 Gig of space and FMS has installed and run properly without any installation tricks for ARR.
I'm just writing this incase anyone else rents virtual server space and has trouble installing FMS and notices that Server Standard 2012 R2 is taking very little room on the C:
I have tons of experience installing FileMaker Server 14 and today (April 15th) I just couldn’t get it to install. I am getting stopped at "The installation of Microsoft Application Request Routing 3.0 (Download) has failed or has been canceled. Setup will now exit." I have Windows 2008R2 template VM images that I know are good, because I've installed FMS14 onto VMs deployed from them countless times. I also tried installation today from 2 of our facilities (in which I've installed FileMaker Server 14 countless times already) just to make sure it wasn't something odd with the network in one of them. I've tried both XenServer and VMWare based hypervisors and templates still without success. My VMs have no problem getting on the Internet, patching Windows updates, downloading installation files, etc.
So, following the instructions here…
...to download and install this…
... I was finally able to complete my installation and everything seems to be working normally.
My suspicion is that wherever the 184.108.40.2062 installer (and trial installer.. got a fresh one of those too just in case) is looking for its ARR dependency is either no longer valid or is currently down.
Has anyone else shared this experience today?
I suspect you are right. I set up another VM on AWS in the US today (the VM above was in Melbourne) and had the same problem. I installed in particular these things to get it working:
External cache module version 1.0: http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/4/1/3415F3F9-5698-44FE-A072-D4AF09728390/ExternalDiskCache_amd64_en-US.msi
- URL Rewrite module version 2.0: http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/7/D/67D80164-7DD0-48AF-86E3-DE7A182D6815/rewrite_amd64_en-US.msi
- ARR version from a web search.
Installing ARR alone would only partially make it work, installing the others got it to get past the "test" screen in the deployment assistant and now FM and webdirect are working great.
When I installed ARR using the link I found when searching on Microsoft's website I did get stopped at the test page like you. But, the package of ARR that FileMaker's page links to ...
... includes the dependancies so it makes it slightly faster.
Looks like they (FileMaker / Microsoft ... not sure) fixed their ARR download location. It's installing as normal again.