1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2016 2:29 PM by TSGal

FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo

dzempel

Hello,

My client is having an issue with FileMaker crashing on an iPad when the insert from device script step is used.  I've seen some other posts regarding this but the descriptions of what and how it happens are different.

iPad mini. Version 9.2.1, just updated it to version 9.3.1.

FM Go version is 14.0.4

File size if 2 ½ GB but iPad has plenty of space so it isn't a space restriction.

We have restored to factory settings on this iPad and we have also used other iPads to rule out issues with the particular device.

Database stored locally on iPad.  One container field in table.  When user clicks on the container field it automatically does an insert from device using the back camera and full resolution.  User does not use the zoom tool.

Issue is very inconsistent.  User must use database for a little while before it happens.  Issue is as follows: user clicks container field, insert from device script step is triggered, user takes photo, user clicks "Use Photo", database crashes.  When reopened it goes through the consistency checks and the record they just created has been deleted.  They create it again and take picture and move on.

Because this has happened a few times, I took their file locally, exported all of the data as CSV files.  Recovered an empty database, then imported all data back in.  Images were exported into a separate FileMaker file and that export file was recovered before importing back into file.  Not sure if this was helpful or not but wanted to be thorough.

We have not found a work around.

Any other questions I can answer?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
          ivanmgranger

A client of ours is experiencing a similar problem:

Inserting a photo from the camera into a container irregularly causes a crash.  Sometimes up to 20 photos can be taken before a crash occurs, other times only 3 or 4 photos before the crash.

FMGo 14.0.4

iPad version 9.3.1

More than 10 GB of available storage space

In our instance, when the crash occurs, no error message appears -- FMGo just quits.

There is no obvious pattern to when the crash occurs.  It can happen when inserting into any of the container fields.  Sometimes only a few photos are all that is necessary to trigger the crash, other times many attempts are required before it happens. The problem is not linked to using the camera's zoom capability.

Other details that may be relevant:

- Images are inserted by clicking on button bar icon which overlaps the container fields.

Clicking the button calls a single step:

Insert from Device [ container ; Type: Camera ; Camera: Back ; Resolution: Medium ]

- Up to 10 photos can be stored in separate container fields within each record, but the images stored at medium resolution and with plenty of storage space on the iPad.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is or how to work around it?

• 2. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
            TSGal

ivanmgranger:

Thank you for your post.

Our Testing and Development departments would like to see a copy of your solution to determine why it is crashing.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
              dzempel

Since I was the original poster is there any way my issue can be addressed?

• 4. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
                TSGal

dzempel:

It wasn't clear from your original post if the recovery and import fixed the issue.  If you are still having the issue, then I definitely would like to see a copy of your solution so I can test it.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

In the mean time, are you able to reproduce the issue in a new file?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
                  ivanmgranger

Thanks, TSGal.  I just forwarded a copy of the file with instructions on how one is most likely to reproduce the crash. Any help is much appreciated!

• 6. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
                    TSGal

ivanmgranger:

I received your file and instructions.  Thank you.

I am aware this issue isn't easily reproducible, but I'll need more information.  I've added 16 records and taken 160 photos.  I'll continue on and off the rest of the day, but if you can give me a ballpark when the issue generally occurs, that would be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
                      ivanmgranger

Hm. That's frustrating that you haven't seen the problem.  In our tests, the crash has never taken more than perhaps 30 attempts, and usually fewer than that.  I would say a crash occurs, on average, every 10 photos.

I don't think we or our clients are doing anything unusual in how the photos are being taken.  Most of the time we aren't even using the camera's zoom feature. 

Could there be some other detail affecting things, like the iPad model or system version?  Our primary tests have been on--

Version 9.3.1 (13E238)

Model MD788LL/B

Are there any other details you can think of that are worth checking?

Ivan

• 8. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
                        dzempel

This is also the case with my client's database.  I could not get it to crash.  However, even though they moved the database to a different iPad, they were able to replicate the issue.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
                          dzempel

The recovery allowed them to use the database a while longer before it started crashing again.  But, once it crashed again, the crashing now occurs more frequently as it was doing before the recover.  But, still inconsistently. 

Can I send you a clone of the file or does it have to have data in it?  The file is 2GB large and I didn't think that would send well.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
                            TSGal

ivanmgranger:

I am using an iPad 3, model MC705LL/A, 16 GB, iOS 9.3.1.  Basic system.

If you reboot the iPad, does the crash still occur?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
                              TSGal

dzempel:

You can definitely send me a clone (no records) of your database file.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
                                ivanmgranger

I'm embarrassed to admit that rebooting the iPad seems to have solved the problem. I assumed I had already tested that, but apparently not.  When troubleshooting something on a desktop or laptop machine, rebooting is one of the obvious things to do, but I suppose I didn't think of that because it was an iPad.  Anyway, it seems to be solved. Thanks.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
                                  TSGal

dzempel:

Just to keep you updated, I continue to enter photos each day to the database file.  So far, no issue.  I'll continue through the rest of this week.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Crashing When Taking Photo
                                    lassaly

I am experiencing exactly the same problem. Happens to all users. FM GO, latest IOS, lots of memory. When taking a picture directly from camera to container field, file crashes. Many times the current record "disappears" and re-entry of data is required. Sometimes the crash is so sever that a "USE RECOVER" message is displayed. My users aren't trained to move files off the iPad and unto a desktop and then recover. Not fun.

I have tried replicating on my iPad ... so far with no success.

1 2 3 Previous Next