5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 10:54 PM by Markus Schneider

Safe to backup FMS live files with Windows Server 2012?

LawrenceCamp

I know FM best practices are to not backup FMS live files with anything other than FMS schedules. I’m working with an IT person who says that built into Windows 2012 Server is a snap shot backup which he insist is instantaneous and can’t damage live files. He uses it all the time for sql databases.

Is this IT person correct? Is there a difference in backing up live sql databases versus FileMaker?

Thanks,

Lawrence

• 1. Re: Safe to backup FMS live files with Windows Server 2012?
          alecgregory

I don't think this would work. Taking a snapshot is fine, just don't use the live files if you revert to the snapshot. Instead, restore from the latest FileMaker scheduled backup from the snapshot.

• 2. Re: Safe to backup FMS live files with Windows Server 2012?
            planteg

Well the advise is to let FileMaker create the backups, and then copy the FMS created backups else where with a backup software.

The same is true with other databases, like MS SQL Server. I had sometimes ago to restore an SQL Server database from a snapshot. Instead or restoring from the backup, which is a simple procedure - pick the backup, pick the database and hit OK-, I had to extract the database files from the snapshot and use a different procedure much more longer.

When you need to recover from a backup, you expect to do it simply and safely. And backups made by FMS is THE way to go.

• 3. Re: Safe to backup FMS live files with Windows Server 2012?
              ch0c0halic

No, the snapshot creates a copy of the open file in its current state. That means the file is still open as far as FM is concerned, it does not contain current cached data, and this makes it unusable as a backup. Data integrity is most likely invalid.

The easiest way to make a backup from FMS into use the backup schedule. The file MUST be paused and all cached data moved into the file. Then the file can be internally marked as closed and copied to the backup location.

You can do all these things from the CLI manually or in an OS script. But why do it since the built-in scheduler does it all for you?

• 4. Re: Safe to backup FMS live files with Windows Server 2012?
                CarlSchwarz

+1, if you want to prove it to your IT person then open up a Filemaker file that is saved with a snapshot and Filemaker will give you a warning and check it's consistency, and very often it will end up corrupt.  The only good filemaker files are the ones created by filemaker backup, or databases that are closed.  Open Filemaker files can not be copied or touched (e.g. virus scan) while in use.

• 5. Re: Safe to backup FMS live files with Windows Server 2012?
                  Markus Schneider

another question is: How easy can one get files back from the backup. Could be quite complicated, at least with the snapshot I got here - no easy way to get one specific file back...

snapshots are a emergency save-set from the FileMaker point of view - as long as possible, use FileMaker schedules to back up data. If FileMaker fails for any reason, use cli commands (system level script, cli means 'command line interface')