3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2016 2:56 AM by g4guitar

Why is Print To PDF not working on client's computer?

g4guitar

I have setup a script to Print PDF to desktop. On my computer it works just fine but my client says when he tries the file does not appear on his desktop. I know there is a Get (Desktop) variable but I am unclear as to how to set it up in this case. Can anyone help? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Why is Print To PDF not working on client's computer?
          erolst

Simplest way (storing directly on the client computer's desktop):

Set Variable [ $fileName ; "somefileName.pdf" ]

Set Variable [ $path ; Get ( DesktopPath ) & $fileName ]

Save Records as PDF [ other options […] ; output file: $path ]

Do not quote $path; this is a reference to a variable, and reference are never quoted. (If you did, FM would look for the path "$path", with predictable results …)

Note that FileMaker does not create any objects to make a non-existent path valid; if you specify $path as, say,

Get ( DesktopPath ) & "PDF_folder/" & $fileName

and the folder "PDF_folder" does not exist on the desktop (of the current user), the step will fail.

Say, didn't you ask this just recently?

• 2. Re: Why is Print To PDF not working on client's computer?
            g4guitar

Thank you. Yes I did ask a similar question for Exporting but I am still having problems. It seems to work on my computer but not the clients so I must be missing something. I am not sure what you mean by 'Do not quote $path'. Where you have Set Variable [ $path ; Get ( DesktopPath ) & $fileName ] for example am I suppose to type in something else where '$path' is?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Why is Print To PDF not working on client's computer?
              g4guitar

erolst it looks like it works this time for the client so not sure what I did wrong last time but all good. Thank you again for all your amazing help.