7 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 7:39 AM by TSGal

Touch Interface with a Windows Tablet

sreese

Product and version

FileMaker Pro 14.0.5

OS and version
      Widows 8.1 Professional / Windows 10

Browser and version (for WebDirect only)

Not a web direct issue

Hardware

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Dell Latitude 12 Rugged Tablet

• Intel® Core™ M-5Y71 Processor (4M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz)
      • 8GB Memory and Dedicated GPS
      • 256GB Mobility Solid State Drive
      • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11ac Wi-Fi + BT 4.0 LE
      • DW5808E Gobi5000 4G/LTE Wireless WAN Card for AT&T (Windows 8.1/10)
      • 11.6" HD (1366x768) Outdoor-Readable Glove-Capable Touchscreen

Description

sing your finger to slide down the layout does not work. However, it does work in portal rows and the pinch gesture to enlarge or shrink works as well.

How to replicate

Create a really long layout

add some fields and a portal or two for a good measure

Use touch interface - window scrolling does not work

Workaround (if any)

I have yet to find one.

Part 2-

FileMaker Pro 13.0.9

The inverse of the above is true. You can scroll the layout, but not the portals.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Touch Interface with a Windows Tablet
          TSGal

sreese:

Thank you for your post.

I do not have immediate access to a Windows tablet device, so I have sent your post directly to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Touch Interface with a Windows Tablet
            TSGal

sreese:

Testing informed me that the following gestures are supported for Windows:

- Swipe to change panels within a slide control.

- Swipe to navigate records.

- Portal scrolling via touch

- Web Viewer scrolling via touch

- OnGestureTap trigger

Other gestures are not available at this time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Touch Interface with a Windows Tablet
              sreese

I find it perplexing (not my original word), that it works fine on 13, but not 14.

• 4. Re: Touch Interface with a Windows Tablet
                sreese

I'd also like to add that this really should work. The windows version of FileMaker should have all of the same touch ability as the iPad version. Any less is unacceptable. I know that FileMaker is a subsidiary of apple, but the PC world is going touch even if apple really hasn't made any inroads to it outside of the iPhone and iPad.

Beyond that, scrolling the entire screen works in 13, but not in 14 or any of its variant patches. Its a very poor decision on FileMaker's part to not make this work properly. I will either have to change what I am doing in 14 to multiple layouts and a much more poor design interface or design in 13 and lose the ability to have the affixed bars across the top in the program reducing ease of navigation.

Its a no win scenario and in the end its the end user who will have to deal with the shortsightedness of this engineering decision.

• 5. Re: Touch Interface with a Windows Tablet
                  user22862

Just making assumptions here.... But as with any system that begins to lack the newest features. Possibly the windows Filemaker Pro is getting a large overhaul, and the development of features has been paused on the current build.

Meaning, the parent window restrictions, scroll bars, etc... along with touch, are possibly awaiting the refresh for the windows platform, which may also bring things that you desire.

This is only my opinion, based on experience with my own personal wishes in other products. ie.. iBooks, mail, etc.

Can you imagine the headache in supplying several different operating systems, a rock solid platform, while attempting to give every feature that pops up? Give them a bit of breathing room, and understanding. In the mean time, maybe explain a certain area you want a work around for, and one of the developers could help come up with a solution with the "ongesturetap" feature that is currently supported! I saw a recent video from Matt Petrowski thats incredibly impressive, and should offer some examples of how to use the on gesture tap.

Just my .02, best of luck!

• 6. Re: Touch Interface with a Windows Tablet
                    sreese

I spoke with the support staff while at Devcon. This is a bug.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Touch Interface with a Windows Tablet
                      TSGal

sreese:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.