1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 9:48 AM by NiceData

Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!

BobKerr

The 'Do you wish to save this change to the layout' dialogue from FMP every time we change the view on a hosted DB is the most hated, annoying, drives us nuts irritating thing in our office. It's even worse than people phoning to say "this is the technical department, there is a problem with your Windows PC".

• 1. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
          Markus Schneider

don't know if there is already a feature request for this - but Yes! It's annoying (among with other settings that can't be changed without taking a file out of FMServer, change the settings and reload it to the server

Report a Product Issue

• 2. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
            jormond

I'm not entirely sure what the request would. Maybe I am not fully grasping what the issue is.

BAsed shed on what I do know, these are my obsevations:

• Changing the view from Form to List affects everyone else Connecting to the database. It changes the view every user sees.  This may or may not be your intended behavior.
            • Separate layouts better than flipping the view.
            • If you are referencing always having to flip the view for the user because it defaults to Form and you want List ( or vice-versa ), just turn off the views you don't want the user to use.

Do thise options address the issue you have?

• 3. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
              DavidJondreau

There's two different scenarios you may be talking about.

One is going leaving Layout mode after changing something. That's an easy fix, in file Preferences-->Layout tab, there's an option to "save layout changes automatically."

The other is when moving from List, Form, or Table to another View, or modifying a table view (column order, maybe width). This can be annoying, but it has two fixes. This only occurs when hosted and accessed by a Full Access account, (or possibly an account with modification privileges for that layout, I haven't tested that). So you can give users appropriate privileges and they won't see that message.

You can also use Custom Menu Sets. For exampe, for the menu item for View As table run a script that includes the View As Table script step. You may need Set Error Capture[On].

• 4. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
                BobKerr

We have 8 databases with circa 1500 records on each.

We have 4 Macs. All the databases reside on one Mac (which is rarely used during the working day).

The databases are all shared: FileMaker Network Settings 'Network access to file – All users'

From the other three Macs the typical scenario would be:

Connect to a database on the Host machine.

The database will open, probably in Form View

The user does a quick search on, say, "Client Name" "full page"

This will find probably 20 to 30 records - (all the full page adverts we have on file for a particular client in this example).

To find the particular record he wants the user will switch to Table View

DREADED MESSAGE

So now the user clicks on the actual record he wants from the list in the table and selects Form View (to get a better look at or work on the record)

DREADED MESSAGE

Um, so maybe this isn't the advert he wants, there may be a better one, so flips back to Table View

DREADED MESSAGE

Then back to Form View

DREADED MESSAGE

And so it goes on.

It's the same as we've always done, in Bento before FMP and in AppleWorks before Bento. But now we have the irritating messages.

• 5. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
                  jrenfrew

Simpler fix than that...

Create TWO layouts, on in form view, one in table view

In the layout setup select just ONE style for each of the layouts, then provide a button which just switches between the two layouts.

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 10.44.56.png

or learn to use List view, or learn how a portal might help you in this case to see other linked or similar records...

• 6. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
                    user19752

I tested with "an account without modification privileges for that layout", then the user can't swith between the views !?

I wonder user can't change the view without saving default view (aka modifying layout), is this expected behavior?

• 7. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
                      CarlSchwarz

Alternatively just provide a button to switch between Form View, List view or table view on the same layout.  Seems the simplest way.

• 8. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
                        jormond

Doesn't that change the view for all users?

• 9. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
                          CarlSchwarz

If you set "Error capture" to on then it defaults as if you pressed "no" to saving the change with the layout.  I should have pointed that out.  So no it does not change the view for all users.

The script for the button to change to list view would then be

Set error capture "on"

View As (list)

And for the table view script

Set error capture "on"

View As (table)

And for the form view script

Set error capture "on"

View As (form)

In the layout settings for the Table make sure that view Header or Top Navigation part is turned on and put the button to view as a form/list there, otherwise in Table view you won't be able to put the button on the layout.

• 10. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
                            MarcDolley

I hate to say it, but you're doing it wrong.

One of the great benefits of FileMaker as a platform is the ability to have an unlimited number of layouts. So you can easily set up one layout as a form view, another as a list view and yet another as a table view (although I rarely use it myself). Then you can easily use buttons to switch between the views. You could even have multiples of each of those layouts with different information suited to individual roles within the organisation. Doing so also means that you don't need to design your form layouts so they still work in list, or especially, table view.

In my opinion, requiring your end users to manually switch between views is poor design. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's half the reason the dialog appears. The engineers at FMI wanted to discourage the use of multi-view layouts.

But that's just my opinion.

• 11. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
                              BobKerr

All excellent information. (We are the end users by the way - we just use Filemaker as a means to an end.)

I'll get on and make some new layouts.

Thanks to all.

• 12. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
                                jormond

CarlSchwarz - gotcha. I had forgotten that 'Set Error Capture [On]' defaults to not saving the layout change.

Switching the view is one script step I have almost never used. I'd much rather have 2 separate layouts.

• 13. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
                                  CarlSchwarz

I agree, purpose built layouts are so much better.  I just remember letting a mechanic lose on a blank Filemaker file once and he created his own parts list (in table view) which was pretty impressive!  I wrote one operation for him that swapped between views, I didn't want to interfere with his creative side so I changed nothing.

• 14. Re: Do you wish to save this change to the layout - Ahhhhhh!
                                    JackRodges

I've never seen one users choice of layout affecting another's. Is this a new feature?

For instance, a user goes to a layout with a report view. Clicks on a line and is shown a form view of that record. Both views are unique layouts.

These actions have always been independent of other users on the network. Each can search, sort and open form views even in new windows for different records.

Did I miss something?

1 2 Previous Next