3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 7:59 AM by Mike_Mitchell

How to show a parameter in time?

geni

As an example I created a small dataset (time, value), which I want to use to make a graph of a parameter in time. Although the data is not equidistant in time the graph shows the result equidistant.

time (hour:min)  value

1:00                       4

1:10                       5

1:20                       3

1:25                       2

1:27                       8

1:50                       3

1:55                       4

How to solve this?

• 1. Re: How to show a parameter in time?

I think FM will just graph your data so that it fits nicely on a graph (x-axis). If your time is a string value that could also be part of the issue.

You may need to include some intermediate points, say between 1:27 and 1:50.

Could you use linear/polynomial interpolation to calculate those?

-m

• 2. Re: How to show a parameter in time?
            geni

The idea is to use this in a dashboard for several parameters in time that will not always be available at the same time.

Setting a basic time line of e.g. minutes could do the trick but would lead to a lot of missing data.

Interpolation could made be used but would show a lot of data not measured but calculated.

• 3. Re: How to show a parameter in time?
              Mike_Mitchell

geni wrote:

Setting a basic time line of e.g. minutes could do the trick but would lead to a lot of missing data.

Interpolation could made be used but would show a lot of data not measured but calculated.

Those are basically your only options. FileMaker's graphing engine will automatically space every X-axis point evenly. You don't have any control over it.

You could try to use an external graphing engine, such as one using JavaScript, through a Web Viewer instead. You could also export the data to Excel and graph it there.

HTH

Mike