1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 1:44 PM by vincedubeau

Sending multiple emails to individual customers

steveoh

Hey FM Devs

So I have a solution that has the ability to email clients to remind them of something, often this is a weekly reminder and I was hoping to streamline the process as it is quite time prohibitive.

I'd like to be able to send out multiple emails (via smtp) but with each email having 1 recipient.  The idea is that if we send out, say, 100 client emails that we aren't left in limbo while the program sends them out.

My current solution utilizes a simple 'current record' loop for sending emails, but that clearly is not a quick process and I am unaware of any alternate solutions.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
          taylorsharpe

The FileMaker built in script step to send emails does one at a time.  You can put all the names in the BCC field, but that is not elegant.  When talking to an SMTP server, you can send a message and then a list of who all it goes to if you use a plugin such as 360Works Email or CNS SMTPit.  Those also support things like HTML email.  And they are faster than FileMaker's built in function.  But they also cost money to license. 

Being closer to your SMTP server helps to.  Do you have a local SMTP server.  It could be one that does nothing but SMTP (sends, does not receive) and on the same local area network and that makes things go a lot faster too. 

• 2. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
            steveoh

The FileMaker built in script step to send emails does one at a time.

Yes it does, that's what I am currently using.

You can put all the names in the BCC field, but that is not elegant.  When talking to an SMTP server, you can send a message and then a list of who all it goes to if you use a plugin such as 360Works Email or CNS SMTPit.  Those also support things like HTML email.  And they are faster than FileMaker's built in function.  But they also cost money to license.

Being closer to your SMTP server helps to.  Do you have a local SMTP server.  It could be one that does nothing but SMTP (sends, does not receive) and on the same local area network and that makes things go a lot faster too.

I've looked at 360, had hoped to avoid plugins as they often come in rather pricy for server use.  It may end up we have an old computer in back that can sit and send emails as we need them, had hoped to avoid that kind of scenario, but here we are.

I had hoped there would be a faster method, or one that I had overlooked

• 3. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
              electon

You mentioned server, did you consider Perform Script On Server [ Don't wait for completion] ?

You call the script and it runs.

Basically you need a method to "reconstruct" on the server the data set you're sending emails from now.

• 4. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
                steveoh

I'm new to using a server, prior till about a month ago everything I'd done was client based. do you mind linking me to some guides that could assist me on that front?  I'd be very appreciative

• 5. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
                  electon

FileMaker Tutorial - Perform Script on Server - YouTube

Also the help and filemaker manuals are helpful and Google is your friend.

It's not that different from scripting on the client side.

But things behave a bit differently on the server so it's good to know what's different.

If you don't understand something after studying, feel free to ask.

P.S. I must have used "different" like 5 times :-)

• 6. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
                    steveoh

The link you provided was based on a plugin, but I'll do some google research.  Thanks for the help!

• 7. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
                      vincedubeau

I have some scripts set up for a client that runs daily and weekly email scripts via a schedule on the server. We have them scheduled to run at 1:00 AM so there is little activity on the database. No plugins required. This might also be something you could consider.

• 8. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
                        steveoh

That's interesting, I believe I have found what I am looking for, but appreciate your tips!

Wasn't aware that 'perform script on server' as a script step was anything more than server maintenance tasks etc.

• 9. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
                          taylorsharpe

You might check out the BaseElements plugin which is free and can send email:  SMTP Email – BaseElements Plugin Help Centre It sends HTML email too.  Personally I really love the 360Works email plugin, but it isn't free. 

There are email APIs that you can do HTTP POSTS and can be incredibly fast if you want to learn the API.  FileMaker's native way to do the post is with the Insert from URL, but the BaseElements plugin has very nice API support for posting (including secure posting), getting, XML/JSON, etc. 

• 10. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
                            electon

Well, it's a video where PSoS behavior is explained in general.

The plugin stuff there may be a bit confusing. Don't let that scare you.

It focuses on how to install plugins on the server via a FM client.

If you want the emails sent without plugins you need to re-establish the context and the found set on the server and use SMPT.

Like it's explained in the video, server is not aware of what you're trying to do on client side.

100 emails doesn't sound like much. The server can handle it easily and because you can run via PSoS and not wait for completion, your client side doesn't need to wail till it's done.

Once you think it out it can be setup in the server as a schedule that runs automatically.

Goes to the layout, finds the clients that need reminding of something and sends the emails.

• 11. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
                              monkeybreadsoftware

MBS Plugin has a lot of email sending functions.

You could try them. They are highly customizable:

http://www.mbsplugins.eu/SendMailPrepareCURL.shtml

you would send one message per client and you can use several CURL transfers in parallel in async mode if you like.

Or just send one after the other.

• 12. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
                                steveoh

Don't misunderstand, I use a plugin to retrieve email so I'm familiar with plugins, just wasn't sure that video was able to help since it focussed on a plugin.  I did find what I was looking for on google, since I now knew what to look for, and have set it up to run on the server.  Thanks for leading me there though

• 13. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
                                  steveoh

Do you know if there is a way to use attachments on server?  Previously I had it saved to desktop and then removed it after sending

• 14. Re: Sending multiple emails to individual customers
                                    taylorsharpe

Save them to a path in the Get ( TemporaryPath ) folders so that it gets erased when the OS is doing cleanup.  Or you can use a plugin that deletes things.  I use MBS, but there are even free ones like BaseElements that works on the server and can erase OS level files if you know the path.  I sometimes run into problems saving to temporary path, so often I save to My Documents which always works and then delete it afterwords with MBS via PSoS. 

1 2 Previous Next