3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 4:14 PM by PSI

Handling Error Status (Server)

deninger

On occasion, I end up getting the following error in the Log:

Schedule XXXX aborted; FileMaker scripts can't be run because FileMaker Script Engine (FMSE) process is stopped

I am alerted to the error by e-mail, and I can manually start FMSE using the command line as:

sudo fmsadmin start fmse

But this requires being able to either physically be on the server or remote to the server. I would prefer have this problem fix itself.

Is there a way to have FM run an external script when it executes a specific error? I suppose I could write a command line script that checks the status of fuse and restarts it periodically, but I would rather just execute the script when needed...

Mike

• 1. Re: Handling Error Status (Server)
          PSI

Hi Mike,

I think it would be better to figure out why the FMSE is stopping. There should be a log entry before the one you reference that describes what script caused it to stop. It's most likely a script that doesn't end and FM Server just shuts down the Script Engine.

John

• 2. Re: Handling Error Status (Server)
            deninger

I agree that it would be best to address the cause, but the cause is intermittent and uncommon. It is not the same script that causes the process to terminate. I am still trying to figure out what is actually going on.

My server runs two scripts every few minutes to handle specific functions. One fetches new ODBC data and runs a manipulation on the data locally to speed access in the UI, and the other finds new data that requires e-mail notifications to be sent. They are short scripts (taking a few seconds with a timeout of 2 minutes just in case). 

My only thought is that it might relate to more than one schedule overlapping with the hourly backup, but even this doesn't really seem to be a common thread.

• 3. Re: Handling Error Status (Server)
              PSI

I see your dilemma. FM Server can run a system level script but it that probably uses the script engine as well?

You would probably have to setup the schedule in the OS.