4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 5:34 PM by KevinRoach62

Can't display Fields from main table to other tables

KevinRoach62

I am wanting to display fields from my customer table to some other tables but can't get them to show data. I have tried a couple of different ways like with portal but it deosn't work and not the way I want to display it.

I have attached a pic and ther fields I want to share with other table is marked in red.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 1. Re: Can't display Fields from main table to other tables
          Extensitech

You'll need a relationship from the "other table" to customers, so that your solution knows which customer information to show. For one related customer, you can just show fields from the related table occurrence. For multiple related customers, you'd show them in a portal.

Perhaps this will help? About relationships

HTH

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 2. Re: Can't display Fields from main table to other tables
            KevinRoach62

I read over what you sent but more confused. I am the kind that needs step by step by step examples i guess.

I am able to show customer table fields on my quote and invoice screens, but they are for printing only. So i am really confused that I can't display the fields there but not on my work order layout!

I need some step by step examples of what I need to do.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 3. Re: Can't display Fields from main table to other tables
              Extensitech

I am able to show customer table fields on my quote and invoice screens, but they are for printing only. So i am really confused that I can display the fields there but not on my work order layout!

On your invoice, you don't show just any customer, you show the customer related to that particular invoice. Some field (probably Customer_ID or something similar) is the same as the primary key (probably called ID, or PK, or similar) in the customers table.

You'll need a similar relationship between work orders and customers to know which customer is related.

If you go to the File Menu, Manage->Database, and look at the relationships tab, you should be able to find your invoices table and your customers table. There should be a line between them that is the relationship. Double-click that and see what fields match.

A quick web search found this (free) youtube video. It's for FM 12, but the part you're asking about hasn't changed much. The video goes through creating a simple relationship somewhere around the 40 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v2EzvaWyBk

HTH

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 4. Re: Can't display Fields from main table to other tables
                KevinRoach62

Here is what I have done so far and I have attached pics. The invoice page is just text and just fields from customers displayed there just for printing and not stored as a true invoice in the database. The invoice information is pulled from the work order and only displayed and printed or emailed.

What would be the difference of displaying my customer fields on my invoice layout and seeing them but not on the work orders layout?

This is just a partial relationship screen, I have added more that is related to work orders like, the expenses of coarse, mileage and parts all linked to workorderID and linked as one to many which is not setup properly in the pic then.

Customer Relationship Settings 1.jpg