6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 5:03 PM by itraining

Plug-Ins tab panel:

itraining

QUESTION:

What causes a "This command cannot be used by this installation of FileMaker" error when visiting the Edit:Preferences:Plug-Ins tab panel using Microsoft Windows 7 and FileMaker Pro 14 (x32 bit and x64 bit)

BACKGROUND:

The computers in question are in a laboratory and the image deployed uses a technique where the C:\Users\username\ folder is created at log-in and deleted at log-out. The solution has scripted plug-in detection and install which has been working perfectly to install the Dacon's MailIt plug-in on "normal" non-laboratory (standard image) desktops/laptops. These particular laboratory computers return Error = 3 "Command is unavailable (for example, wrong operating system, wrong mode, etc.)" when the Install Plug-In File script step executes.

Install Plug-In File

• Launching FileMaker Pro 14 the C:\Users\uqmrich6\AppData\Local\FileMaker\ folder is created.
      • The nested folders/files inside C:\Users\uqmrich6\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\14.0\ are created too
      • Notably, the Extensions folder inside at C:\Users\uqmrich6\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\14.0\Extensions\ is NOT created.
      • Manually creating the Extensions folder and manually putting the MailIt plug-in inside the folder the plug-in will load successfully at launch
      • Manually putting the x32 bit MailIt plug-in inside the C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 14\Extensions\ folder or the x64 bit plug-in sinde the C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 14\Extensions\ folder, the plug-in will load successfully at launch
      • Manually checking the security permissions on the C:\Users\uqmrich6\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\14.0\ folder or the manually created C:\Users\uqmrich6\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\14.0\Extensions\ folder are full control allow.

Researching the error, if the Edit:Preferences:Plug-Ins:Allow Solutions to Install Files checkbox is deactivated, the Error = 3 "This command cannot be used by this installation of FileMaker" is invoked, In this instance, the Allow Solutions to Install Files checkbox is activated but not editable. For example: visiting Edit:Preferences:Plug-Ins the "This command cannot be used by this installation of FileMaker" error is displayed and the Plug-Ins tab panel is displayed but greyed out and non-editable (see attachment).

Thanks in advance

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

Plug-Ins not available error.PNGPlug-Ins checkbox activated not editable.PNG

Security.jpg

• 1. Re: Plug-Ins tab panel:
          BowdenData

Just to confirm, you are running Windows 7 32bit, but FMP14 64bit? I would think that you should match bit versions across the board.

Win7 32bit, FMP14 32bit, FM Plugins 32bit

or

Win7 64bit, FMP14 64bit, FM Plugins 64bit

I don't know if this would make a difference or not. My experience is with the latter of all things being 64bit.

I am also thinking that when the Plugin is installed successfully in the "users" path, maybe it is recorded in the registry or something. Then the account logs out and the directory is removed. Upon attempting to install the plugin the next time the user logs in, maybe FM is effected because it thinks the plugin is already there. This is a wild guess though.

What about putting the needed plugins inside the Extensions folder that is within the FMP14 application folder on the C: drive? I know that this is not the recommended way to go these days, but it still works and to my knowledge is supported by FileMaker Inc. That might bring with it a whole set of other issues, but since you said this is a lab setting, it implies a controlled environment in my mind.

Doug 

• 2. Re: Plug-Ins tab panel:
            itraining

Thanks for chipping in Doug. Much appreciated.

Answers to your questions:

(a) the operating system is x64 bit: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.

(b) the temporary workaround was to log into each computer using the local admin account and copy the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the MailIt plug-in into the C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 14\Extensions\ folder. The plug-in loaded successfully for logged in users. I copied both 32/64-bit plug-ins preempting a FMPro14x64bit re-install.

Further Information:

(a) originally the computers had FileMaker Pro 14 x64-bit installed. The first move from IT was to diagnose a possible 32/64 bit conflict between the application and the plug-in so they uninstalled FMPro14x64bit and installed FMPro14x32bit.

(b) the plan is to uninstall FMPro14x32bit and re-install FMPro14x64bit to return to the starting point but with the appropriate plug-in installed in the application extensions folder

The core issue remains, why does the error below appear when I visit Edit:Preferences:Plug-Ins?

"This command cannot be used by this installation of FileMaker"

It looks like a permission issue on a folder or file that FileMaker Pro 14 is trying to access to list the installed plug-ins.

(a) What order does the application check possible plug-in locations: User, Application and Legacy?

(b) Does the permission attribute "List folder contents" need to be active on all plug-in folder locations?

(c) Is there another specific permission on a folder that needs to be active to allow FMPro to "read" the folder contents?

Something is awry in the lab image that needs to be identified. I need to experiment and troubleshoot further.

Thanks again for your contribution Doug.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

• 3. Re: Plug-Ins tab panel:
              BowdenData

Michael,

Can't comment with any authority about the error message you are seeing. Seems like these answers might need to come from FMI themselves. With regard to the plugin locations and order of loading, see this KB article.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10097

Doug

• 4. Re: Plug-Ins tab panel:
                user19752

What about registries?

Here is disabled plugins of the preference.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\14.0\PlugIns

• 5. Re: Plug-Ins tab panel:
                  itraining

Thanks for the article Doug. Very helpful.

This section got my attention:

All three locations will be checked for plug-ins in current versions of FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced.  However, the "Install Plug-In File" script step supports only the "New Location" discussed above. The order in which the installation of plug-ins is checked is as follows:

1. Legacy location
                  2. New location
                  3. Old location

In the lab, the Install Plug-In Files script step is being used so the MailIt plug-in should be installed into the C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMakerPro\14.0\Extensions\ folder as mentioned in the article. Troubleshooting, I have removed the C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\FileMaker\ folder and watched the FileMaker folder and its nested folders be created when the FileMaker Pro 14 (32-bit) application launches. Curiously, the Extensions folder is NOT created at this point in time which seems to indicate an initial problem that would cause the "Install Plug-In Files" script step to fail. However, manually creating the Extensions folder at C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMakerPro\14.0\Extensions\ the Install Plug-In Files script step still fails. If I manually place the MailIt plug-in into the Extensions folder, the plug-in loads successfully at launch.

I need to check for the existence of a Legacy location folder and see if the permissions are causing the error "This command cannot be used by this installation of FileMaker" when I visit Edit:Preferences:Plug-Ins.

Thanks again the helpful article.

Bye for now.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

• 6. Re: Plug-Ins tab panel:
                    itraining

Thanks for the registries suggestion.

I will check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\14.0\PlugIns (probably next week).

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)