What causes a "This command cannot be used by this installation of FileMaker" error when visiting the Edit:Preferences:Plug-Ins tab panel using Microsoft Windows 7 and FileMaker Pro 14 (x32 bit and x64 bit)
The computers in question are in a laboratory and the image deployed uses a technique where the C:\Users\username\ folder is created at log-in and deleted at log-out. The solution has scripted plug-in detection and install which has been working perfectly to install the Dacon's MailIt plug-in on "normal" non-laboratory (standard image) desktops/laptops. These particular laboratory computers return Error = 3 "Command is unavailable (for example, wrong operating system, wrong mode, etc.)" when the Install Plug-In File script step executes.
- Launching FileMaker Pro 14 the C:\Users\uqmrich6\AppData\Local\FileMaker\ folder is created.
- The nested folders/files inside C:\Users\uqmrich6\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\14.0\ are created too
- Notably, the Extensions folder inside at C:\Users\uqmrich6\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\14.0\Extensions\ is NOT created.
- Manually creating the Extensions folder and manually putting the MailIt plug-in inside the folder the plug-in will load successfully at launch
- Manually putting the x32 bit MailIt plug-in inside the C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 14\Extensions\ folder or the x64 bit plug-in sinde the C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 14\Extensions\ folder, the plug-in will load successfully at launch
- Manually checking the security permissions on the C:\Users\uqmrich6\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\14.0\ folder or the manually created C:\Users\uqmrich6\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\14.0\Extensions\ folder are full control allow.
Researching the error, if the Edit:Preferences:Plug-Ins:Allow Solutions to Install Files checkbox is deactivated, the Error = 3 "This command cannot be used by this installation of FileMaker" is invoked, In this instance, the Allow Solutions to Install Files checkbox is activated but not editable. For example: visiting Edit:Preferences:Plug-Ins the "This command cannot be used by this installation of FileMaker" error is displayed and the Plug-Ins tab panel is displayed but greyed out and non-editable (see attachment).
Thanks in advance