1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2016 10:22 AM by TSPigeon

Copy and paste rotated objects not working

LeighMoore

Hello,

We have recently upgraded from Filemaker 9 Pro to Filemaker 14 Pro and we are experiencing major problems using the Drawing Tools in Filemaker 14 Pro. In Filemaker 9 Pro, we had no problem using the drawing tools.

We use the layout drawing tools A LOT to draw diagrams for the products we manufacture for every order we have. Every product is manufactured to our customers specification, and therefore, we draw the product specifications so that the factory has a visual reference of what they need to manufacture.

In Filemaker 14 Pro, we are having problems copying and pasting the drawings in to a Container field. Some of the drawing elements copy across but some do not. Some elements are not in the correct place and appear cropped. After an exhaustive troubleshooting process to try and determine the cause, I have discovered that Shapes and Text rotated to the 90, 180 and 270 positions do not copy and paste correctly. It appears that the canvas in the copy buffer has been sized to allow for the space of the entire copied diagram but the rotated Shapes and Text do not render or render incorrectly.

To reproduce, please follow this procedure:

1. Create a new layout.
      2. Draw Shapes, Lines and Text in the layout.
      3. Rotate some Shapes and Text.
      4. In Layout Mode, copy the Shapes, Lines and Text.
      5. Paste into a Container field.

All of the Lines regardless of rotation and unrotated Shapes and Text will render in the Container. Sometimes, rotated shapes will partially render, they look like they have been cropped and have been repositioned. If you copy and paste a single rotated Shape into the Container field it will not render at all. I have also tried to paste into a Microsoft Word document and into a new email using Microsoft Outlook with the same result.

In our business, we have drawn commonly used Design Elements and stored those Design Elements into a Symbol Library that we have created. We copy, paste and rotate these Design Elements into our drawings so that we can communicate visually to our factory what they need to manufacture. Since the rotated Shape objects no longer render correctly, it means that for the majority of our drawings we are not able to communicate to our factory what we need them to manufacture.

Now takes our sales team a lot longer to produce the drawings since they need redraw every element that they need by hand and can not use the Symbol Library that we have created until we either create an entire Symbol Library or Filemaker fixes this issue.

Please reference the attached Filemaker Database and screenshots for an example of the problem.

• 1. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
          CarstenLevin

I am sorry, but since FileMaker 9 the entire graphical model of FileMaker has changed.

Now it is CSS based.

The main change happened from 11 to 12 and was "finished" and delivered in full in FileMaker 13/14.

I am afraid that you should go for a better solution: I would draw the drawings in another tool than FileMaker and then put them into the container field.

In all this should give you a much better result and a way better drawing environment. And btw, it is the first time I have heard of anyone using FileMakers drawing tools to draw technical displays and illustrations.

I hope this is a help

Best regards

Carsten

• 2. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
            LeighMoore

Hi Carsten,

Thank you for your response and your suggestions. The best solution for us is to do our drawings in Filemaker. All we need is to be able to draw rectangles, lines and text and be able to rotate them and copy and paste the drawing into a Container field. The drawings are very simple and not complicated at all.

We have been using Filemaker since 1989 and we upgraded from Filemaker 9 to 14 in good faith that it is going to be better than Filemaker 9. Additionally, we need features in Filemaker 14 that are not available in Filemaker 9. Filemaker 14 should be able to handle copy and paste correctly, especially when copying and pasting within Filemaker 14.

Using another program to do our drawings is not an acceptable solution. This is a bug in Filemaker and a suitable workaround in Filemaker needs to be found or alternatively the bug needs to be fixed.

The fact that Filemaker now uses CSS is irrelevant for two reasons;

1. CSS can handle rotation.
            2. Filemaker should at least be able to be able to copy and paste into itself without any compatibility problems.

I have just tested copying rotated shapes from Filemaker 9 to Filemaker 14 and it works fine. From Filemaker 14 to Filemaker 9 I get the exact same result as shown in the screenshot.

• 3. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
              CarstenLevin

Hi Leigh,

FileMaker must of course answer for them selfs, I am just assuming what the rationale is. And my assumption is that FileMaker never thought of the layout tools as a drawing application to be used for other than layout purposes, and that they did not expect you to move the result to a container field:-)

But I can maybe lead you to some ways of solving the problem, if you are sure you do not want to use a drawing application like Omnigraffle or something else (btw, are you using Mac/Win or both?).

Please let me hear about the direction you are taking and if it is of any help for you.

Best regards

Carsten

• 4. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
                CarstenLevin

Godraw will allow you to try before buying:

godraw.png

• 5. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
                  CarstenLevin

Our developers, at Codeo, have experimented with Godraw for solutions for our customers. And they find it to be very useful.

At the end they decided to build a specific solution internally because or customers are having some requirements that are very special. But have a look, I guess it will solve your problem - or at least hope so.

Carsten

• 6. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
                    schamblee

FM EasyCanvas is a open source solution that works in a webviewer.   The last time I download it only work with MAC and ios.

GitHub - timdietrich/fmeasycanvas: With FM EasyCanvas, you can create and modify drawings directly from within your File…

• 7. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
                      TSPigeon

LeighMoore:

Thank you for your post.

I was able to reproduce your issue with FileMaker Pro 14.0.5 on both Mac OS X and the Windows Operating Systems. While this may have worked for you in the past, the Drawing Tools are not being used as intended with your solution.

The drawing tools are meant to enhance the design of a layout per Drawing and inserting objects on a layout and wouldn't be intended for copying outside of Layout Mode.

Layout Mode is meant to manage the presentation of information on your screen, in reports, labels, and forms. It is not meant for creating images or moving objects outside of the layouts. For more information you might see About FileMaker Pro modes and Creating and managing layouts and reports .

I hope this information is of use!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
                        CarstenLevin

This is a bug in Filemaker and a suitable workaround in Filemaker needs to be found or alternatively the bug needs to be fixed.

Hi Leigh,

I sincerely hope that some of the suggestions you are getting here is of help to you. But it is not what can with any fairness be called a bug in FileMaker. The soup spoons I used previously was very good for opening beer bottles but the new ones I got are having a handle that is slightly more pointy (right word?), and they are not good for opening my fine bottle of New York IPA. It is not a bug from the company that produce the spoons (IKEA), they just had no idea that I was using my previous version of spoons to open beer bottles with.

I hope you find the allegory fair

best regards

Carsten

• 9. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
                          ninja

Howdy LeighMoore,

If it helps, I tend to do the same thing that you are describing.

The only difference I see is that I do my image handling and drawing in plain old PowerPoint.

Draw in PPoint

Group it all

Save as picture (JPEG)

drag and drop it into the container field.

I've not had an issue with this from FMP7 for layout art through FMP13 with remote secure containers...

Using a JPEG drawn elsewhere works better for me than trying to create art with FMP.

HTH

• 10. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
                            mrwatson-gbs

Importance of lost rapid development functionality

TSPigeon wrote:

While this may have worked for you in the past, the Drawing Tools are not being used as intended with your solution.

in my opinion, the ability to create drawings using FileMaker layout objects and insert them into container fields so that they can be used as icons, buttons or graphics within that FileMaker solution is a core feature of the FileMaker RAPID DEVELOPMENT TOOL.

Over the years, hundreds of developers have pasted thousands of FileMaker layout objects into container fields and integrated them into calculation fields to implement intelligent graphs, meaningful diagrams, dynamic and reactive charts, gauges, progress bars, icon buttons, status flags and more.

As you can see, being able to create + use drawings is actually fundamental to rapid development.

--

The actual Issue

I have reviewed the problem in a test file, and identified that

• copy and paste of FileMaker Layout objects in/out of containers is NOT the problem - It's working fine! (*)
                            • The problem is an error in the rendering of FileMaker Layout Objects in containers. (*)

As you can see from the following image, I was able to paste various objects into container fields (where they are not fully rendered) and then copy them BACK out of the container and into the layout, where they are inserted with 100% success, where they are 100% correctly rendered (including buttons + actions, etc.).

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 09.32.27.png

THUS the actual issue is with the rendering of layout objects in container fields - which simply ignores rotated objects (*)

(*) STOP PRESS - My logic + conclusion above  is incorrect - After looking more carefully at the clipboard I have realised that it is indeed the COPY action which renders a JPEG which the container field simply displays. The error is thus in the COPY action's rendering of the layout objects as an image.

See the issue Copying Layout Objects to containers: rotated objects are not rendered for more.

Of course, both Layout objects AND container fields have undergone a massive and fantastic transformation in the new fmp12 file format - for which FMI has rightly earned a great deal of praise! - it is thus not surprising that at the conjunction of these two technologies - rendering new layout objects in new containers FMI drew a line short of previous goals. (no pun intended…although it IS a good one )

----

Next Steps

OK, where to go from here?

In my opinion

• FMI needs to review the role this functionality plays in the goal of making the FileMaker a Platform for Rapid Development
                            • FMI should review the implementation effort required to extend the rendering in containers, as it may not need as much effort today as it would have in the past:
                              • Given that WebDirect can now render FM Layouts in a browser, would it not be possible to use the same rendering engine to render layout objects in container fields - particularly for interactive containers which are also rendered in a browser?
                            • This discussion should be moved to / posted in the product feedback area
                              • ...but as an Issue or as a feature request/Idea?
                              • Given that this functionality has been dropped / deprecated with no announcement of the like from FMI, one could well argue that it should be categorised as an issue.
                              • On the other hand, the Product Ideas area has a voting system, which helps developers easily communicate what is important to them.

See also the following issue on rotated layout text objects "Resize to smallest height"does not work on enlarged, rotated text objects

• 11. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
                              beverly

awesome research, mrw! I wonder if the objects (on layout) are grouped in any way prior to copy and paste into containers. And I wonder if it makes a difference?

I also use FM to DRAW objects (even a pixel/point at a time for some) and use them as interface elements. Some "objects" may be grouped multiple drawing objects and some may not. Storing them may rely on:

1. an "interface" layout where the objects are just in the layout background and requires Layout mode to copy

and/or

2. in container field(s) — possibly container repeating field(s)

I think you have both "issue(s)" and "idea(s)" here...

beverly

• 12. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
                                mrwatson-gbs

awesome research, mrw!

Thank you - my first *awsome*

I wonder if the objects (on layout) are grouped in any way prior to copy and paste into containers. And I wonder if it makes a difference?

No, it makes no difference - the objects on the right that have been through the container are 100% identical, except for their position on the layout - as can be seen in this diff of the two objects:

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 14.15.30.png

• 13. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
                                  mrwatson-gbs

Hi again,

to move this along I have taken the step of reporting it as an issue:

Copying Layout Objects to containers: rotated objects are not rendered.

P.S. Please press the *awesome* button ;-)

• 14. Re: Copy and paste rotated objects not working
                                    TSPigeon

All:

I have sent a report to Testing and Development including the information provided. Further information will be posted on the thread created by mrwatson-gbs - Copying Layout Objects to containers: rotated objects are not rendered

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next