Summary

Filemaker clients not disconnected after specified idle time

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

MacOS 10.11

Description of the issue

This morning I opened the FMS admin console and ticked the box "Set maximum idle time allowed for FileMaker clients (minutes)" and set the idle time limit to 15 minutes and clicked "Save."

Later I re-opened the admin console and confirmed this idle time limit is in place.

At lunchtime I closed my laptop & locked it in a closet.

After lunch (c. 45 minutes later) I opened my laptop and found my FileMaker solution still open & interactive.

Re-launching the FMS admin console (which had timed out, as expected), I confirmed that FMS still sees my laptop as a client.

Am I misunderstanding what the idea time setting is about, or is it not working as FMI intends?

• 1. Re: Filemaker clients not disconnecting after idle time
          TSGal

l_allen_poole:

Thank you for your post.

The 15 minute maximum idle time will work for those accounts that have the Other Privilege option of "Disconnect user from server when idle" enabled.  Because you can set this option on a privilege set basis, certain users will be disconnected while other users always maintain their connections, such as those with [Full Access] privilege.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

Screen Shot.png

• 2. Re: Filemaker clients not disconnecting after idle time
            l_allen_poole

Thanks for explaining why the server setting doesn't apply to [full access] accounts.

All of my users have limited access accounts, and all of their priv. sets already have the "disconnect user from server when idle" privilege selected. Is there any other reason why a non-[full access] user would be able to remain connected >15 minutes? My users perceive this as a significant security risk.

• 3. Re: Filemaker clients not disconnecting after idle time
              TSGal

l_allen_poole:

Somehow, FileMaker Server is still seeing the clients as active.  Do those clients have any scripts running?  Is there an active Install OnTimer Script running?  Any active dialog box?  Any plug-ins that pool for data?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker clients not disconnecting after idle time
                l_allen_poole

The system disconnected users as expected until upgrade from FM 11 to 14 a couple months ago. No OnTimer or long-running scripts, no plugins different from before, typically no active dialog boxes.

• 5. Re: Filemaker clients not disconnecting after idle time
                  TSGal

l_allen_poole:

Since I am unable to reproduce this issue with FileMaker Server 14.0.4 on Windows Server 2012 R2 and FileMaker Server 14.0.4b on Mac OS X 10.11.4, something may have occurred with the update process.  Since this (non) timeout issue is occurring with all clients, I suspect the issue is on the FileMaker Server side, and in particular, the maximum idle time.  Therefore, the next time you perform maintenance on the server, perform the following steps:

1. Set the maximum idle time to a different value (e.g., 20).  Save.

2. Turn off the maximum idle time.  Save.

3. Shut down FileMaker Server, and reboot the server.

4. Turn on the maximum idle time, set the maximum idle time to the original value 15 minutes, Save.

5. Shut down FileMaker Server, and reboot the server.

6. Access the file using FileMaker Pro, and verify all client access privileges are set to disconnect from server when idle.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.