13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 1:50 PM by TKnTexas55

Simple time sheet template wanted

Fimano

FMS14/FMP14, 20 users. Most employees, some working part-time, are required to fill in an Excel sheet which somebody created and locked in 2003. There is a copy of the Excel doc for each month, per employee, hardly surprising. Apart from being cumbersome to email, the sheet works OK. But it does a wrong calc when summing up the hours for someone (like me) not working here every day. We already have a great FileMaker system in place, with a user table. And even a dashboard, where each user sees her own user record and related items of interest. There is no billing based on projects, just keeping track of time spent working. NB: European solution, so no am/pm. We just enter, on each line in Excel, the hour/minute of meeting and hour/minute of leaving. A good and simple solution would be great, I'm sure there are quite a few out there. In FPM, we could have more 'free hands' in recording time, but the requirement for reporting would be a monthly sum of hours/minutes worked, compared to norm time, with any difference (positive/negative) displayed. Thanks, Jens

• 1. Re: Simple time sheet template wanted
          beverly

did you make a search on this forum or you favorite search engine? I found several 'possibilities', but only you would know what would work for you. they range from free, tutorials, to paid solutions

beverly

• 2. Re: Simple time sheet template wanted
            Fimano

Yes, I did search this forum, but did not find anything useful. There are many possibilities, but I ask here to get a more qualified pointer, based on my stated needs. I do not want a paid solution, neither any kind of tutorial. But a description of what other great developers have done to the enjoyment of users would be great. With or without example file enclosed.

• 3. Re: Simple time sheet template wanted
              beverly

Excellent! your needs may not be the same as mine, so my reference was to searching elsewhere for solutions. I hope others will reply!

beverly

• 4. Re: Simple time sheet template wanted
                User26869

Hi there,

What about a portal on the user layout, in which each user could enter his/her new timesheet records (a new timesheet table)? Then report on the Timesheet Table. Seems simple enough to me

Chloe

• 5. Re: Simple time sheet template wanted
                  leish2

Hey Fimano,

I just implemented something similar for a client so I have made a striped down version to send you as a sample of what I did.

My solution is "Projects" based and each Project is assigned some Categories ... when the Staff enter their Time Data they choose a Project and then choose a Category and then enter their time and date.

The Time entry is a pop-up window that can float around and this window has a Popover for the actual time entry.

• when the popover closes you see a list of all the time entered in a portal

The attached file is called  "Time_Data_Leish.fmp12"  and automatically logs in as Admin with no password.

Filemaker 14 is required.

There may be a few minor bugs as I removed a lot of things (tables, layouts, scripts, etc.) in order to keep it fairly simple.

It is NOT a self-contained (nor abolt on) solution ... but let me know if it helps.

Cheers, Michael Leishman

• 6. Re: Simple time sheet template wanted
                    DanielShanahan

Fimano wrote:

FMS14/FMP14, 20 users. Most employees, some working part-time, are required to fill in an Excel sheet which somebody created and locked in 2003. There is a copy of the Excel doc for each month, per employee, hardly surprising. Apart from being cumbersome to email, the sheet works OK. But it does a wrong calc when summing up the hours for someone (like me) not working here every day.

That sounds like an annoying and moderately expensive problem.

Fimano wrote:

We already have a great FileMaker system in place, with a user table. And even a dashboard, where each user sees her own user record and related items of interest.

That sounds like a great resource!  Who built your "great FileMaker system"?  I think it would be worth having her/him take a look at providing a time sheet solution for you.

• 7. Re: Simple time sheet template wanted
                      Fimano

Regarding Excel for time sheets: I had luck with not putting more jobs on my own desk, as this was up and running. Only, people needed personal folders om our server, which is not so easy to set up in an automated way. And yes, annoying. I don't want to mess with old Excel sheets, even if I had the access code for it. Regarding our system: I built it myself. I am just trying to use as little time as possible for this task, as many other projects have higher priority, but my boss still wants this 'detail' fixed. Might sound familiar...

• 8. Re: Simple time sheet template wanted
                        Fimano

I don't know why I can't fetch Time_Data_Leish.fmp12 now? I was able to do it at home, but there I only had FMP13.

• 9. Re: Simple time sheet template wanted
                          leish2

Hi there,  I added the file to my DropBox so you can try this link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7078118/Time_Data_Leish.fmp12.zip

I will leave it up fro a few days but let me know when you have it.

Cheers, Michael

• 10. Re: Simple time sheet template wanted
                            leish2

Hey Jens,

I made a new version that is even more simplified and can be opened in FMP 13.

Go here:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7078118/Time_Data_Leish_v2.fmp12%202016-04-26.zip

I removed the Projects, Clients, and a bunch of other stuff.  Basically it just has the Staff and Time Data.

I did NOT change the hours to be Start and stop time (as you suggested in your first post) as that would add quite a bit of complexity (calculating hours and dates can get tricky) so my solution just asks for the number of hours:

3.5   would constitute 3 hours and 30 minutes

I also added in a calculation for the week number of the year - I find this very helpful when calculating the number of hours over a week and/or creating a report for a given week or range of weeks. Of course you could create reports for any date range you like.

Sounds like you have to enter a default number of hours that people are expected to work but I will leave that up to you to figure out.

One other thing ... you could have most of the staff go directly (and ONLY) to the Time Entry screen and sho only their record based on their account and privilege set.  Then have the Admin account(s) go to the Main layout where you can see all the data and run the reports.  Just sayin'

Cheers, Michael

• 11. Re: Simple time sheet template wanted
                              SarahHood

Hi I just found this question in the forum and am looking to try to build something similar and was wondering if I could have a look at the file you last sent to see how it is done?

Thanks

Sarah

• 12. Re: Simple time sheet template wanted
                                beverly

leish2

There has been a request to see the file you last posted to dropbox on

• 13. Re: Simple time sheet template wanted
                                  TKnTexas55

This is the TImeCard app I made for me.  The WeeklyAdj column was to adjust time in or out.  If I had over 40, I adjust it out.  But if I was short of my 40, as when we closed for a snow storm, I adjust back in.  I was a contract worker.