6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2016 8:22 PM by jp98

why isn't this working in webdirect

jp98

i am having a problem where a portal isn't displaying anything in webdirect

this is how it displays normally in filemaker with tasks for <<Name field which is in current table>> at the top and a view tasks for selector at the bottom. when a different name is selected at the bottom it is reflected in the top obviously as well and then the portal reflects the changes accordingly.

Screenshot 2016-04-21 16.22.47.png

in this screenshot from webdirect you can see that the names are showing up and the portal isn't displaying any tasks. i have other portals that are displaying fine on webdirect and other <<names>> so neither of those two things are the problem i dont think, but none of the other portals have selectors on them.

Screenshot 2016-04-21 16.23.12.png

has anyone got any suggestions about why this might be?

• 1. Re: why isn't this working in webdirect
          jp98

if i click on the popup selector on the web it still brings up the list of values from the field that the value list references but when i click on a name from that list, it doesn't display in the box and doesn't make any changes anywhere else either

• 2. Re: why isn't this working in webdirect
            user19752

If your portal use another file, check the extend privilege for the file.

• 3. Re: why isn't this working in webdirect
              twelvetens

I have seen issues with portals in webdirect not showing any rows in specific browsers. I've solved this in the pasy by having to just re-arrange slightly the fields and other objects within the rows in the portal, making sure they're not too near the edges, and this has sorted it in the past. Not sure if it will help here, but it might be worth a try?

To help in diagnosing, it might be worth putting some other development fields in the layout just to ascertain whether or not the issue lies with web direct accessing the data to be shown in the portal, or whether it's just an issue with web direct rendering the objects properly...

• 4. Re: why isn't this working in webdirect
                jp98

i personally think that it is more to do with the selector and possibly the relationship. both the things that are off the portal which aren't related to another table anyway don't display either. the portal is affected by what these values are because that is what the tables are related through. i just can't figure out why the <<code>> in the title and the selector that determines what this title says doesn't display.

James Glendinning wrote:

I have seen issues with portals in webdirect not showing any rows in specific browsers. I've solved this in the pasy by having to just re-arrange slightly the fields and other objects within the rows in the portal, making sure they're not too near the edges, and this has sorted it in the past. Not sure if it will help here, but it might be worth a try?

To help in diagnosing, it might be worth putting some other development fields in the layout just to ascertain whether or not the issue lies with web direct accessing the data to be shown in the portal, or whether it's just an issue with web direct rendering the objects properly...

i have tried shifting the whole portal around as well as some other stuff to see if the fields are just hidden behind it or something but that isn't the case. the problem is before the portal i think

If your portal use another file, check the extend privilege for the file.

portal only uses another table within the same file but thanks for your suggestions

• 5. Re: why isn't this working in webdirect
                  twelvetens

If the problem persists with other related fields that are not on the portal then yes, I'd agree, the issue lies elsewhere.

Can you confirm how your selector works? Is that a global field? Is it used to determine relationship between tables, or is used as a portal filter? Does the whole thing work fine in Filemaker Pro?

If you could post images of the relationship between tables, and the settings for the portal, we might be able to see something else...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: why isn't this working in webdirect
                    jp98

quick update - for some reason it is all go again. we used to have problems with the layouts with objects displaying partially off the screen but since updating to filemaker 15 we don't have either of these problems any more