2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2016 6:13 PM by keywords

List View / Crosstab Report Issue

KrisYells

I need a list view to report (crosstab) on events.

Parent table = Property Id numbers

Child table = Events tracked by Values from a Value list. (Survey Ordered, Survey Complete, Documents Ordered, Documents Received)

The events are tracked by the event name, date, individual name and comments

Events are entered via portal on the Parent table. The Parent and Child table are matched by the property ID.

When I pull the list view from the child table it gives me the event and omits the ID's from the parent table that do not yet have an event. I need all ID's listed so we can easily see what is remaining.

When I pull the list from the parent table it gives me all ID's and only shows the first logged event for each ID. I might have 3-5 events logged and I only get the first one entered into Filemaker.

I need the list to show all properties ID's and all events logged for those ID's. I don't think my issue the building of the crosstab or defining the headers and body.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: List View / Crosstab Report Issue
          erolst

You have two relatively simple options:

• create a default child record, maybe with an explanatory message like “no events added yet” to display in the list view; delete that record when a real children is added.

Drawback: might require additional fields to avoid skewing summary results.

• create a calc field in the parent table that List()s the event entries; in the list view, make the field large enough to accommodate the maximum number of child entries, and use sliding to adjust the field to just the necessary size.

Drawback: you have to create a calc field in the child table to display multiple fields combined (and List() that field in the parent table).

More complicated approaches would involve e.g the Virtual List method.

btw, your problem seems to be solely the missing child records to represent a parent; I see nothing in your description about cross-tab reporting.

KrisYells wrote:

Child table = Events tract by Values […]

"tract"? Tracked?

• 2. Re: List View / Crosstab Report Issue
            keywords

erolst wrote:

• create a default child record, maybe with an explanatory message like “no events added yet” to display in the list view

No need for an extra field. You could set the text message as placeholder text in one of the real fields, so it shows when the field is empty.