8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2016 5:48 AM by disabled_morkus

Examples of proposals for FM DB Projects

willzshire

Writing my first major project proposal for new client.

Wondering if anyone has a good example of what a FileMaker project proposal should include etc.

Thank You

• 1. Re: Examples of proposals for FM DB Projects

I'd like to see this as well since I've never been able to sell a client on using a FM solution.

- m

• 3. Re: Examples of proposals for FM DB Projects
            itraining

A couple of years ago at one of the FBA meetings in Australia, the concept of Return On Investment (ROI) was mentioned as critical to include in every proposal. The example provided above is interesting because it provides a COST range, marketed as investment. The next line should be Return On Investment. For example: current task takes 1 person 15 minutes and the task is repeated 10 times per week. In new database solution the task will take 15 seconds saving W time, X dollars and cost reclaimed within Y weeks, saving Z dollars per year.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

• 4. Re: Examples of proposals for FM DB Projects
              bigtom

itraining wrote:

A couple of years ago at one of the FBA meetings in Australia, the concept of Return On Investment (ROI) was mentioned as critical to include in every proposal. The example provided above is interesting because it provides a COST range, marketed as investment. The next line should be Return On Investment. For example: current task takes 1 person 15 minutes and the task is repeated 10 times per week. In new database solution the task will take 15 seconds saving W time, X dollars and cost reclaimed within Y weeks, saving Z dollars per year.

This (ROI) is an essential part of any proposal. If it is about business it all comes down to the money.

In some cases I have seen companies let employees go because they simply needed less people handling tasks manually. No one likes to advocate for the loss of jobs but when you explain to a company that your solution will cost X and they could immediately see savings of 4X+ per year in reduced salary costs they generally start listening. Usually they are happier re-assigning those people to other productive tasks.

• 5. Re: Examples of proposals for FM DB Projects
                DanielShanahan

Will,

Attached is what I use.  Feel free to use any part that is helpful.

My projects are fixed price so you may need to alter Fee section if your proposal is an estimate.

Also, FWIW, I would not call this a FileMaker project proposal.  Rather, it is simply a project proposal (though I call mine a "Statement of Work").  My point is, there is nothing about the proposal that is FileMaker specific.  FileMaker is the tool I use to full fil the proposal but the content of the proposal would be the same if I used .Net or MeteorJS (which I don't because I don't know how to use .Net or MeteorJS!).

HTH

• 6. Re: Examples of proposals for FM DB Projects

My issue is that I've yet to find a client who is open to FM, period.

I say "FileMaker" and they roll their eyes regardless of the technology stack I explain it has or how it could save them $ in development. A better solution thus might be to have a FileMaker application on the server that others could use and then the underlying technology is hidden.

Yet, with the high cost of FMS (plus hosting), I'm not going that route.

No luck for me so far.

- m

• 7. Re: Examples of proposals for FM DB Projects
                    marksystech

Morkus,

I have the opposite problem.  I have a customer that is so hung up on FileMaker for everything they can't see past it for other solutions.  Hence we have about 35 separate non-related databases floating around all of the place and they are under ISO controls so it is kind of a mess.

Luckily they are taking their first step towards consolidation beginning now in allowing me to revamp their PO entry system.

• 8. Re: Examples of proposals for FM DB Projects

Must be nice.

Although I primarily do Java, it's sad to me that I can't find, after six years, a single person / client who would be interested in a FileMaker solution.

Thanks for your reply.

- m