1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2017 7:42 AM by TSGal

FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart

ScottBleackley

Restarting the iPad, not just FMGo appears to resolve this issue.

It would be very nice if it did not appear in the first place.

Hate to tell a large client base that FMGo just acts up sometimes.

This iPad has been restarted many times since the last update so not just update issue.

Filemaker Advanced Pro 14.0.5 ( current ) works fine

FMGo 14.0.4 ( current )  has script trigger issues

I am using OnRecordLoad the script trigged by this is need Check Layout
      FMGo tested with default admin login and data entry only on both platforms.
      Issues remain.

I am finding other issues with other script triggers in other FM projects
      that work on OS X 10.11.14 Filemaker Advanced Pro 14.0.5 and do not work on iOS 9.3.1 FMGo 14.0.4, yikes!

see more detail in this discussion:Re: FMGo Layout Trigger OnRecordChange Not Working, Why?

see last comment in

5. Re: Script Triggers stop working in FM Go 14.0.3

rgordonFunction Phenom

Filemaker Go has memory management problems so restarting the iPad/iPhone will correct these problems for awhile until it needs restarted again.  It's also a good idea to close all filemaker file before doing this or before swiping up to kill the app.  This will clear out your temp folder. If any files are open the temp folder will not clear.

• 1. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
          TSGal

ScottBleackley:

Thank you for your post.

What iPad are you using?  How much memory does the iPad have?

Since the button doesn't appear to take you to the specified layout, are you able to manually select the layout?

If you have a reproducible case, then Development and Testing definitely want a copy of your solution so they can analyze why this issue is occurring.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
            User27974

I confirmed this is still an issue with 14.0.4 on the iPad.  Rebooting does make the scripts work.  However, we cannot rely on this. 

Has FMI documented this as a bug.  Does it work correctly in FM 15 go?

Thanks.

Tom

• 3. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
              Benjamin Fehr

I'ld recommend to use FMGo 15 (even in combination  with FMP14). Some processes with FMGo15 got overhauled, resulting in  great performance increase. There's a chance that FMGo 15 would work more stable with any "small memory" (RAM) iOS-Devices.

• 4. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
                Peter Wagemans

I had a situation here where all triggers stopped working in Go 15, IPad Air 2 64GB iOS 10.

Of course the trick is to reproduce it. I know.

Since I realised the problem and restarted Go (not the IPad, just Go) it worked well again. Mind you, it DOES mean that Go became unstable (not iOS), subsequently closing and re-opening, and even opening other files revealed that all script triggers were fubar.

This is an application I'm building, while testing from this iPad. Probably a combination of a lot of script and layout changes, re-connections between 3G/4G and wifi are causing instablility issues. Most probably the last thing, as I've been testing re-connection a lot lately.

Now I have to program some health check into my scripts, just to make sure no disasters happen because the script triggers don't happen. Which will be hard to do, since scripts stopped triggering.

FileMaker Go needs a self check when applicationDidBecomeActive is called. It shouldn't be my job.

If it is, I'm wondering how I would work around this problem.

• 5. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
                  TSGal

Peter Wagemans:

Thank you for your post.

I have sent your comments to our Development and Testing departments for review.  If there is anything new to report, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
                    TSGal

Peter Wagemans:

Testing has focused on your statement "Probably a combination of a lot of script and layout changes, re-connections between 3G/4G and wifi are causing instability issues."  In essence, FileMaker Go might be in the middle of doing something or waiting for something, and that may be why the triggers are not responding.  That is why the solution would work fine again after re-launching.  Updating to iOS 10 may help decrease the chance of getting such issues.  Also, try decreasing the number of reconnections to the network.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
                      TSGal

Peter Wagemans:

Testing would also like to get a copy of your solution so they can work with the file and try to reproduce the issue.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
                        mbml

I have a similar issue where I am trying to produce a "Pull down menu" on each layout that will take me to the selected layout.

I have a value list with all of the layout names, and am using a global field in my "globals" data base that appears on all layouts.

I am then trying to use a pop-up menu and a script trigger (OnObjectModify) to run a script that, with "if" statements  ascertains the menu item selected and on a match implements the appropriate "go to layout" command.

It works fine on my MBP (OS 10.12.2 and FMP Advanced 15.0.2.220), but with both my iPhone 6s and iPad Mini, (both running the latest fmGo and iOS) I get mixed results. - It works 1/10 attempts on a random basis but most times, 9/10, I just get the spinning wheel. If I tap the screen while the wheel is spinning, the script usually kicks in correctly, but that is a bit of a pain to ask my users to do.

I have re-booted both my iPhone 6s and iPad Mini a number of times and that seems to make no difference.

The weird thing as well, is that if I use a Drop-down List, instead of a Pop-up Menu the script seems to work fine, but then, the virtual keyboard also comes into view and the menu item is selected as if I want to "copy it". That too is a pain and too confusing for my users.

I could put a "Go" button next to the Pop-up Menu to manually run the script, and again, that works fine but it would be so much more elegant if the script trigger worked with just the Pop-up Menu and script trigger in fmGo as it does in FMP.

Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

- Neil

• 9. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
                          Jade

I have the same symptoms on an iPad Pro 9.7" with iOS 10.2 and FM Go 15.0.2.

At first, I thought they were due to grouped objects in the pop-up or drop-down menus.  But these are all ungrouped now.

I have isolated the problem to using a Web Clip (Profile mobileconfig made with App Maker).  It works well on the first pass but when I relaunch the solution file in FM Go using the Web Clip after shutting off the iPad and then restarting it, the problems surface.

However, if I open the solution files from within FM Go, the problems do not occur.

HTH,

Jon

• 10. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
                            mbml

Thanks Jon,

I am glad that it is not just me who has had the problem.

App Maker would no doubt look after the Android side of things, but if I am going to do anything like that I would probably move my FMP prototypes over to MySQL/PHP.

Although I note that App Maker can produce a native button for iOS that opens the file in fmGo. Is that what you are using? I can't see an real benefit to that or just opening fmGo - which is what I am doing, although you seem to say that it eliminates your problem.

What I would also love though is a way to access my file directly in iCloud without having to import it into fmGo first, so that any changes I make to the file can be picked up immediately from the OSX desktop - just like other apps do with Handoff.

In the meantime I just want my FMP apps to run correctly on OSX and iOS, and as the Drop-down List triggers correctly in fmGo, I just cannot understand why the Pop-up Menu doesn't when using the exact same script trigger and script.

It sounds to me like a bug in fmGo that needs to be addressed.

Who knows? By the time FM address it, they may also have fmGo available for Android, and then all my (our) problems would be solved!  

Thanks again,

- Neil

• 11. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
                              TSGal

mbml:

I am unable to reproduce the problem.  This is what I have done:

1. In a newly created database file, I created a Text field named "Global" and set it for global storage.

2. I created two layouts: Table and Second

3. On the Table layout, I formatted "Global" as a Pop-up menu with values "Table" and "Second".

4. I created a script "WhichLayout" with the steps:

If [ Table::Global = "Second" ]

Go to Layout [ "Second" ]

End If

5. I set the field "Global" on the Table layout with an OnModifyObject script trigger that executes "WhichLayout".

6. In FileMaker Pro 15.0.2, I can verify the Pop-up menu and script trigger are working.

7. I set the file for Network Sharing.

8. On an iPad and iPhone 6 Plus, I can launch FileMaker Go 15.0.2, access the hosted file, go to the Table layout, and changed the pop-up value.  The script trigger works as expected.

Let me know what I am doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
                                mbml

Thank you TSGal for getting back to me so quickly, much appreciated.

What you have done to replicate the issue is basically correct, however I think that there are two main differences that I can see.

The first, and I think the issue, is that you seem to have only one table (global). I am wanting to move between multiple tables. The other issue may be the complexity of my script, which I have reproduced below;

Freeze Window
                                If
                                [ Globals::menu = "Accountability" ]

Go to Layout [ “Accountability - iPad” (Accountability) ] If [ not IsEmpty ( Accountability::quick_find ) ]
                                Set Field [ Accountability::quick_find; "" ]

End If End If

If [ Globals::menu = "Answers" ]
                                Go to Layout [ “Answers - iPad” (Answers) ] If [ not IsEmpty ( Answers::quick_find ) ]

Set Field [ Answers::quick_find; "" ] End If

End If
                                If
                                [ Globals::menu = "Clients" ]

Go to Layout [ “Clients - iPad” (Clients) ] If [ not IsEmpty ( Clients::quick_find ) ] Set Field [ Clients::quick_find; "" ]

End If End If

If [ Globals::menu = "Coaching" ]
                                Go to Layout [ “Coaching - iPad” (Coaching) ] If [ not IsEmpty ( Coaching::quick_find ) ]

Set Field [ Coaching::quick_find; "" ] End If

End If
                                If
                                [ Globals::menu = "Countries" ]

Go to Layout [ “Countries - iPad” (Country Codes) ] If [ not IsEmpty ( Country Codes::quick_find ) ]
                                Set Field [ Country Codes::quick_find; "" ]

End If End If

If [ Globals::menu = "Main Menu" ]
                                Go to Layout [ “Menu - iPad” (Globals) ]

End If
                                If
                                [ Globals::menu = "Questions" ]

Go to Layout [ “Questions - iPad” (Questions) ] If [ not IsEmpty ( Questions::quick_find ) ]
                                Set Field [ Questions::quick_find; "" ]

End If End If

If [ Globals::menu = "Questions Entry" ]
                                Go to Layout [ “Questions Entry - iPad” (Questions) ] If [ not IsEmpty ( Questions::quick_find ) ]

Set Field [ Questions::quick_find; "" ] End If

End If
                                If
                                [ Globals::menu = "Reports Menu" ]

Go to Layout [ “Reports Menu - iPad” (Globals) ] End If

Refresh Window

( I know I could also use "If else" which I did originally, but I was trying all sorts of things to get it to work )

As mentioned above, this works fine with a Drop-down List but I get the spinning wheel with the more preferred Pop-up Menu, because the Drop-down List brings up the virtual keyboard.

I have also since moved the script trigger to "OnObjectSave" but still have the issue with the Pop-up Menu, while the Drop-down List works fine (except for the virtual keyboard).

Obviously, the multiple tables also bring in relationship issues, but it is a very simple relationship between the Global Table and the others.

I am also just wondering what the difference is in the programming of the Pop-up Menu and the Drop-down List that would allow one to work in iOS and for the other to have this issue?

Looking forward to your further assistance.

- Neil

• 13. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
                                  TSGal

mbml:

I am still unable to replicate the issue.  I created several more tables and layouts, and loosely used your script.  I did not need to check for IsEmpty, because the field would be set to "" no matter the outcome.  Even with those changes, I would go to the correct layout.

Since this is not working for you, please send in a copy of your solution so I can test it here and determine the cause.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FMGo Script Triggers stop working. Require iPad restart
                                    mbml

TSGal:

Thank you again for your prompt response.

I am just now in the middle off some layout formatting changes but should have them finished within the hour and am happy to send the file once they are completed.

Thanks again,

- Neil

1 2 Previous Next