1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2016 9:09 AM by mrwatson-gbs

SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue

jfeeney123321

When in LAYOUT mode, trying to use the SELECT ALL or SELECT SAME feature, a large number of ghost images appear and are selected along with the intended fields. This appears to be legacy locations of the fields in locations the fields were in prior to being located to their existing location on the form view.

When in BROWSE, using the TAB function, the curse moves to ghost images of fields (locations on the form where no fields are located) highlights an otherwise invisible field and shows data on it.

I am using FMP-13 Advanced on a Win-10 operating system. I do NOT recall this issue happening when I was using Win-7.

I've tried a number of times to attach a Print-Screen image of the ghost images but every time I try this window freezes up and I have to start all over again.

I was about to purchase FMP-14 Advanced and a new Apple "Server" with FMP Server but I'm thinking I might wait for FMP-15.

Any suggestions on the Issues above ?

Thank you

Jack

• 1. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
          TSPigeon

Jack:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to reproduce this issue in FileMaker Pro 13 (Advanced) in the Windows 7 or Windows 10 Operating Systems.

Can you replicate this issue with a New File or Starter Solution?

A screen shot might tell us more, though it looks like you've had crashes when attempting this. You might try the Windows "Snipping Tool" to capture an image.

I look forward to your response!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
            jfeeney123321

TSPigeon,

Thank you for your response.

Yes I can recreate the issue when using one of the FMP Starter Solutions ( Contacts) . Here is what I saw.

In the un-altered Starter Solution, no issues were noted BUT once I moved the LAYOUT around. and then tried the SELECT ALL or SELECT SAME the issue showed it self, the same as in the original FORM  I was originally working with.

In my uneducated mind, the issue seems that it MIGHT be related to the saved versions of the FORM .... the ones that can bee restored . I say this because the ghost images are all in locations where the fields had been a some point in the development of the FORM, leading me to believe that something was tracking where they had been. Again that is just a guess on my part.

I corresponded with John Mark Orsborn ( the issue showed up as I was using one of John FMP Training Videos ) and asked John if he had heard of the issue before. He had not but he asked me for info on the version of FMP Advanced and Windows I was using.

Info for the Hardware and Operating system I am using :

FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0v5
              Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, OS Build 10586.164
              64-bit operation system, x64 based processor
              Laptop: HP g7-1310us Notebook PC

He felt that the problem might be related to FMP-13 being released before Windows-10 .

Do you know if this would NOT occur if I were using FMP-14 , I know you want to sell software but because I about to invest in FMP-14 Advanced, FMP-14 Server and an Apple "Server" I rather hold off on the purchases until FMP-15 comes out, if the problem exists in FMP-14.

Again, thanks for getting back to me.

Jack

PS I'm not sure what the "Windows Snapping Tool " is , If I figure it out I'll forward the image of the issue to you. At present I only have the Print-Screen image I saved to an Excel page.

• 3. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
              planteg

Hi,

TSPigeon refers to the Snipping Tool, an application that takes screen captures. It's included in Windows 10. That would help seeing what it looks like.

One thing you may do is download the FM 14 trial and open the file created by FM 13 to see if the issue still happens.

• 4. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
                jfeeney123321

Thank you planteg, I'll check it out.

Jack

• 5. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
                  jfeeney123321

Thanks to the comment by "Planteg" I was able to find and become acquainted with Windows Snapping Tool.

SelectSame_Form1.PNG

• 6. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
                    BruceRobertson

Isn't that the correct though perhaps undesired result? Showing objects on all tabs.

• 7. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
                      BruceRobertson

For instance: if you look across all the tabs, are there fields (likely phone & email) at the arrowed location?

SelectSame_Form1_mod.png

• 8. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
                        BruceRobertson

For instance - I just took a FileMaker 12 template file, moved the work address1 field on one tab, then switched to the other tab, clicked a field, and did select same.

I don't think there is anything wrong or unexpected in what you are seeing.

ModifiedContacts-1.png

ModifiedContacts-2.png

• 9. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
                          jfeeney123321

I don't know Bruce, there are a lot more fields highlighted than actually exist on the form. i.e.: where you have the red arrow pointing, in the actual form those fields are located just above and to the left "Phone" & "EMAIL" ( that are also highlighted along with some other field .... this also is not there ) . So What was Selected was SELECT SAME, I would have expected just the 13 fields on the form be highlighted, they are but also at least 15 additional "ghost fields " marking locations the fields once where but had been moved from some time in the past. I'm just thinking it should only be highlighting only the fields on the form, not the legacy locations and the fields.

Maybe I'm wrong .... but again, when I was using FMP13 in Windows-7 I don't recall it doing that., just now in Win-10.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Jack

• 10. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
                            TSPigeon

Jack:

planteg's suggestion of trying FileMaker Pro 14 is a great one. FileMaker Pro 13 is technical not tested working on Windows 10, while FileMaker Pro 14 has been updated for compatibility.

I do agree with BruceRobertson since you are easily able to reproduce in a new file. The image below is a select all on the Research Notes Starter Solution with FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced on Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit).

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 9.42.24 AM.png

• 11. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
                              BruceRobertson

But you still have not described what you see when you look at all other tabs on the layout. There are zero ghost images. There is no problem; and no behavior difference between versions.

• 12. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
                                BruceRobertson

"Bruce, there are a lot more fields highlighted than (the 15 on THIS tab) actually exist on the form."

In other words you claim that NONE of the other tabs have any fields at all on them.

I doubt that very much.

• 13. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
                                  BruceRobertson

"I don't know Bruce, there are a lot more fields highlighted than actually exist on the form."

False.

There are more fields highlighted than exist on the CONTACT TAB.

Your layout has SIX tabs; with fields in various locations across all those tabs.

It is sort of like having X-ray vision; and seeing "through" all six tabs to see the locations of all the fields on all the tabs.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: SELECT ALL, SELECT SAME, TAB issue
                                    jfeeney123321

I don't know Bruce, I don't want to club a dead dog but when I used SELECT SAME (or SELECT ALL) I was expecting it to select all the related Fields or Labels etc. .... which it does,  but it also selects ghost images all over the FORM VIEW of where fields used to be in addition to where they are now. I'll let this go but I wasn't expecting it , I found it confusing, and I don't recall seeing it when I was using Win-7.

My biggest concern was that I'd just gotten a quote for a Apple "Server" and was about to switch everything over to FMP-14, I hear FMP-15 will be out soon, so I might just wait.

Thanks for you time

Jack

1 2 Previous Next