6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2016 6:08 PM by keywords

how do i start with a blank layout?

user26705

I am sorry if this is a newbie question - but I cannot seem to find an answer after searching.

I have a layout that I want users to navigate to and when they get there - they MUST read a set of instructions (so far so good).  After they read the instructions they can "tap/click" a button and that will load a new record which they can then enter the data required and "tap/click" another button to commit the record and return to the previous layout.

My issue is that to cannot figure out how-to disable FM from displaying the first record it finds?  I do not want to use the "Layout OnEnter" script to load a new record - as I want the user to read the instructions and then choose to load a new record for compliance reasons.  So simply stated, my question is - how do you not display any table data until after the user clicks a button on a layout?

All help and guidance truly appreciated!

• 1. Re: how do i start with a blank layout?
          beverly

You can select New Layout (Layouts menu, when in Layout mode). You can base it on any table, but do not place any fields on the layout, just the instructions text. Then the click can go to the layout with the records.

This new layout should be the one that is listed under File Options (File menu), Open tab. Check the Switch to Layout and click the Specify to choose this new layout (by name).

Now when the database is newly opened it goes directly to that layout.

beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how do i start with a blank layout?
            user26705

Thanks - I was hoping there was a native method of doing this - but this work around will work - thank you!

• 3. Re: how do i start with a blank layout?
              jrenfrew

or create a table with no fields and no records

Then there is nothing to load at all.

you button can run script to go to another layout which looks identical to the first, and you are off an running

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: how do i start with a blank layout?
                beverly

You can't get more 'native' then the default layout option. That has been in FileMaker forever.

beverly

• 5. Re: how do i start with a blank layout?
                  bigtom

You can use a script to go to a layout and generate a new record as beverly described.

Go To Layout[]

New Record/Request

This will start with a new record and not display a completed record.

You could also use a layout based on a table with global fields that match your data table fields and one record. When committed it will create a data record in the data table and clear the global fields by script. This is a slightly more complicated method but it does reduce the possibility of users seeing previously entered data as well as reduced the risk of creating blank records.

• 6. Re: how do i start with a blank layout?
                    keywords

user26705 wrote:

So simply stated, my question is - how do you not display any table data until after the user clicks a button on a layout?

Another approach could be to do the following:

1.     Create a global field; create a script that sets that field to 1; activate that script using the "continue" button on your layout.

2.     Place the necessary field on your layout, but set them to hide if the global field is not 1.

3.     Your second "commit" button could also be hidden the same way, or even set to remain hidden until the necessary fields contain data.

This approach would require no layout switching except your final "return to the previous layout". You could also make the navigation to this layout in a new modal window, so that the previous layout is reached simply by closing the modal window.