AnsweredAssumed Answered

FileMaker batch picture upload

Question asked by lmagnan on Apr 25, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 26, 2016 by alecgregory

Hello,

I have a database for which I want my users to be able to insert pictures.

As with every software, I want it to be as quick as possible. The way I would like to set it up is to have a local "drop" folder into which the users would insert their pictures where the FM client would go and get the files references to insert new records. I would like to then have the server do the big work and insert the images as external storage to free up the client so the users can do other things while the images are "really" getting inserted. I then run a cmd script to delete the files once they have been properly inserted in the database and are not required anymore.

I have tried multiple strategies:

- insert from URL using the client's IP address, couldn't get it to work, FM Server would always return error 100, I knew it was a long shot as all I have read regarding this strategy mentioned the Server can't really get anything beyond its "little document bubble";

- base 64 encode on the client, works, but takes too long;

- base 64 encode on the server, the result would only be the encoding of the file reference and not the file itself.

Do you guys have anything to suggest. Ideally, if I could get the server to base64encode the image inserted as a reference only it would be ideal...

Cheers,

Outcomes