2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2016 2:03 PM by unclemito

Calculation is getting the Auto Serial ID Value instead of Named Value from Value List

unclemito
      1. I have a email script where in the email subject I have a calculation getting a field value which is populated by a value list.
      2. It is getting the Auto Serial ID (first field) associated with that key and not the named value (second field) associated with it.
      3. The value list settings are
        • _MakerIDfk (first field, Auto Serial ID)
        • MakerDivsion (second field, named value)
        • Include all values is marked
        • Show values only from second field is checked
      4. The table is showing only the second named value in the field.
      5. is there a setting I need to use?
        • 1. Re: Calculation is getting the Auto Serial ID Value instead of Named Value from Value List
          erolst

A two-field value list still only inserts a single value (always from the first field, regardless of any other settings). Consequently, that field holds an ID and nothing else (and a good thing, too.

But you are probably storing that ID for a reason – namely, to have a relationship to another table**. So, use that relationship by reading the desired name (or any other) field from the related record that the ID links to.

**If you don't have a relationship and till now only relied on a popup control's ability to resolve the first field of a value list to its associated second field, those innocent days are over …

Create a relationship using that key, then you can read the related value programmatically.

• 2. Re: Calculation is getting the Auto Serial ID Value instead of Named Value from Value List
            unclemito
            1. Ok, I understand now that the first field being the only value actually being stored from the specify value list dialog. (I need to start reading all those dialog box text.)
            2. It took me a while to understand you are getting at; I changed the field name to the field name in the parent table where the parent key came from.
            3. It works now. Thanks