2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2016 5:10 PM by erolst

How to simplify the work of making code book for FileMaker database

liyangao

We have been using FileMaker Pro for our research study for a long time. For every layout for every study, we make a code book with the variable names embedded in the layout in word file as our study code book. It takes a long time to add all the field names as a text box back into the Word document file for each layout.  How to make the work simple and quick has become one of our issues?

With FileMaker Pro advanced 12, I was able to print out a table with all the fields as defined in the table as a data dictionary. My question is that with the new added label feature for a field, can I print out a table with all the fields and its label as a data dictionary?

• 1. Re: How to simplify the work of making code book for FileMaker database
          Extensitech

I believe you'll be able to do what you want using design functions like LayoutObjectNames and GetLayoutObjectAttribute. First, though, all your objects (labels, fields, etc.) need to have names. You'll want to name them in such a way that, from the object name, you can determine whether this is a field, label, button, etc.

What comes after that is a parsing exercise. It's challenging, but it can be done.

HTH

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 2. Re: How to simplify the work of making code book for FileMaker database
            erolst

Of course I have no idea what it is you are storing, but consider using records, rather than fields; this way, a label is a direct attribute of an entity of type x that has a certain value (in short, an Entity-Value-Attribute model).

Different layouts may also hint at different “sets”, which could be handled much more flexible in this approach.

Not sure if this is applicable in your scenario; just some food for thought.