11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 10:00 AM by wimdecorte

Is it possible to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server?

tonimedia

Hi Folks,

as far as I can remember (not pretty shure about it), I was told (many years ago), that it is not recommended to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server to access the database locally. Is this (still) true?

Actually I use a hosted virtual server with Windows 2012 from hosteurope with FM 14 Server. To reduce network-traffic, increase speed and the ability to use the same file-paths, I was wondering, if I can install a client on this machine and work on it via Remote-Desktop. I will have to do larger calculations and exports.

Thanks for answering this maybe stupid question ;-)

Andreas

• 1. Re: Is it possible to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server?
          Mike_Mitchell

tonimedia wrote:

that it is not recommended to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server to access the database locally. Is this (still) true?

Those are two questions:

1) Can I install the client on a server?

2) Can I access the database locally?

The answer to 1 is yes, you can. The answer to 2 is, don't ever, ever, ever, under any circumstances, attempt to access a FileMaker database through the OS or another program while it's being hosted by FMS. You WILL, eventually, corrupt and / or crash the database.

If you want to do this, you can, but use Open Remote through the client to access the database via the server.

I will have to do larger calculations and exports.

Have you considered server-side scripting for this purpose?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it possible to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server?
            tonimedia

Mike_Mitchell schrieb:

tonimedia wrote:

that it is not recommended to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server to access the database locally. Is this (still) true?

Those are two questions:

1) Can I install the client on a server?

2) Can I access the database locally?

The answer to 1 is yes, you can. The answer to 2 is, don't ever, ever, ever, under any circumstances, attempt to access a FileMaker database through the OS or another program while it's being hosted by FMS. You WILL, eventually, corrupt and / or crash the database.

If you want to do this, you can, but use Open Remote through the client to access the database via the server.

I will have to do larger calculations and exports.

Have you considered server-side scripting for this purpose?

ok - I never thought to do this by "open" the database, but was wondering if I can "connect" with the client to the server when both of them are installed on the same machine. Is that possible?

Server-Side-Scripting would be the next question. Can I find more information to that in the FileMaker advanced training? I might have to install a Plugin on the server, because I have to upload files via ftp on a webserver.

Andreas

• 3. Re: Is it possible to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server?
              wimdecorte

tonimedia wrote:

ok - I never thought to do this by "open" the database, but was wondering if I can "connect" with the client to the server when both of them are installed on the same machine. Is that possible?

Yes you can, but it still is a potentially very bad idea.  The server should not double as a workstation.  Make plenty of backups...

What kind of work do you envision doing with the client installed on the server?

tonimedia wrote:

Server-Side-Scripting would be the next question. Can I find more information to that in the FileMaker advanced training? I might have to install a Plugin on the server, because I have to upload files via ftp on a webserver.

I'm sure there is info there.  There is very little mystery to it:

1) make sure your server is not currently starved for resources.  Asking it to do more may slow everything down

2) in FM Script Workspace, look at your scripts with "server" compatibility turned on (top right corner).  You need to remove or branch around any incompatible script steps

3) keep in mind that every schedule you run will also first run your "onOpen" scripts,  not just the target script you set in the schedule.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server?
                Mike_Mitchell

What is the driver for wanting to have the client and server on the same box? Bypassing network bandwidth / latency? Assuming the server has more horsepower?

• 5. Re: Is it possible to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server?
                  tonimedia

Mike_Mitchell schrieb:

What is the driver for wanting to have the client and server on the same box? Bypassing network bandwidth / latency? Assuming the server has more horsepower?

I am converting an old fp7 project to an actual FileMaker 14. I have to do weekly exports, wich take about 5 minutes of time, because there's a lot of data and lots of calculations on it. The plan is to start a script on the server, wich executes the calculation and exporting remoteley, so that there is less to none traffic between server and client (like it is now).

• 6. Re: Is it possible to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server?
                    Mike_Mitchell

Well, two things:

1) You should be able to do this via server-side scripting.

2) If the export takes a long time due to calculations, then presumably these are unstored calculations. You might want to look at refactoring the solution to avoid using unstored calculations and store the data in normal fields instead. This will dramatically speed up the process.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Is it possible to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server?
                      dtcgnet

With regard to this...one driver for having a client on the same server as FMS might be to use that client as a "bot". It could handle tasks such as generating pdfs and so on.

Thoughts on that?

• 8. Re: Is it possible to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server?
                        Mike_Mitchell

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here. Again, with the appropriate caveats / precautions, this can be fine. But you have to apply all the caveats / precautions.

And needing a bot, in and of itself, is not justification for using the server as a client. You can schedule bots using desktop clients without the risk to the server.

• 9. Re: Is it possible to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server?
                          dtcgnet

Let's say I have a WebDirect application, and I want a user to be able to request a pdf. WebDirect can't generate a pdf by itself, so something has to do it. The user clicks a button "Request PDF". On the server, the bot client is running with an on-timer script. It looks for PDF requests, and if it finds one, it goes to the necessary layout and record and generates a pdf. It installs the pdf into a container field and then sends an email to the user, with the pdf attached.

Something like that. No actual users would use the client software that's installed on the server.

Just exploring the whole area and asking experts.

• 10. Re: Is it possible to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server?
                            Mike_Mitchell

If all you want to do is create PDFs via a bot, it's not necessary to do it on the server. You can (and probably should) do it on a separate desktop. That allows you to manage the bot without needing server access (meaning you can delegate it), and it doesn't add unnecessary load / risk to the server.

• 11. Re: Is it possible to install a FM-Client on a FM-Server?
                              wimdecorte

dtcgnet wrote:

With regard to this...one driver for having a client on the same server as FMS might be to use that client as a "bot". It could handle tasks such as generating pdfs and so on.

Thoughts on that?

I think that's a really bad idea.  You do not want to get into a situation where you have to reboot the machine to get rid of some FMP client gremlins and cause an outage of ALL your connected clients.

If you need a bot, use a different machine.