2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 4:58 PM by rgordon

Link external container field with ios app sdk

jrepp

I am trying to see if I can create a native app with the iOS App SDK for a solution set I have.  The set has over 60,000 photos that are stored externally in container fields within a folder in the same directory as the app.  I've added the FileMaker file and the folder to my project files and both appear to upload to my iPad (takes 5+ minutes to install).  The file works fine until I try to review my photos.  I get a message in each container field that the file cannot be found.

Anyone else work with files in container field with the iOS App SDK and have any guidance or words of wisdom.  If I have to bring those back into the file it will probably be too slow for me to make it a native app.

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: Link external container field with ios app sdk
          databuzz

Hi John,

Not sure if you're aware of a limitation with FileMaker Go - FileMaker Go doesn’t support setting up container fields to store data externally unfortunately.

From the FileMaker Go 14 Development Guide:

To transfer a file with container fields that store data externally, you must first embed the container field data. To do this, in FileMaker Pro, use the Save a Copy As command and choose self- contained copy (single file). Then transfer the copy, not the original file.

-

HTH,

Andrew

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Link external container field with ios app sdk
            rgordon

Folders do not work in Filemaker Go.  All files are stored in the documents folder.  You can not put a functional folder in the documents folder

1 of 1 people found this helpful