Thank you for your post.
I am unable to replicate the issue using FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.5 under Mac OS X 10.11.4. This is what I have done:
1. I created a file with a few fields, one of the fields named "Long Text".
2. I entered the text: "One<option-tab>Two<option-tab>Three<option-tab>Four
3. In Layout mode, I selected "Long Text", and made the width across the layout.
4. In the Inspector, I went to the Appearance tab, and under Tabs, I clicked the "+" icon three times and entered the values "2 in" (Left), "5 in" (Left) and "8 in" (Right).
5. Returning to Browse Mode, my text appears in the appropriate spacing.
6. Putting my cursor back in "Long Text", I pressed Return and entered 1<option-tab>2<option-tab>3<option-tab>4.
All information appears as expected. I even entered 44444 at the end to make sure the last tab stop was right-aligned.
Let me know what I am doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.
oops, how did you do that?
I have that error since many years …
I always use "pt" and before that I used "px"
(I remember I had the error long time using px, so the error was before FMP 12 too. in former times I had to enter the numbers twice every time. now it has gotten worse)
please try with pt and 120, 167, 324, 680 and use different alignments on it
maybe change to browse mode or close the database before assigning the tab-values
Thank you for the additional information.
I am able to replicate the issue on Mac OS X, but not on Windows. It appears only one tab position can be edited at a time after initial setup. That is, I change your middle tab position from 14 in Left to 14 in Right, but no other editing to other tab stops are stored. If I save the layout, go to Browse mode and return, I can then change another tab stop.
I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review. When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.
Our Development and Testing departments are already aware of this issue, and your posts have been linked to the original report. When more information becomes available, I will let you know.
some circumstance I wanted to add:
I am always just able to modify the tab with the highest position, even if I stored the layout.