7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 12:27 AM by beverly

How can I print scripts ?

ggianni

Hello all

I want to print copy of my scripts using syntax colored as they appear on the screen.

Is it possible ?

• 1. Re: How can I print scripts ?
          DamianKelly

Yes, either from within the script itself while editing it with Print in the File menu, or you can select scripts from the left of the script maker window and print selected.

You can print all the scripts to a PDF and then search for strings, which is handy if you are too tight to buy various developer assistant type plugins.....

• 2. Re: How can I print scripts ?
            steveromig

Damian Kelly wrote:

Yes, either from within the script itself while editing it with Print in the File menu, or you can select scripts from the left of the script maker window and print selected.

You can print all the scripts to a PDF and then search for strings, which is handy if you are too tight to buy various developer assistant type plugins.....

Keep in mind, however, that printing scripts (either to a printer or to PDF) do not support the syntax coloring functionality.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How can I print scripts ?
              CarstenLevin

It is of course correct what people are explaining here about printing. But you should also be aware of the DDR report you can generate with FileMaker Pro Advanced, it may be even better for documentation than the prints.

You can generate set of files to be used in your web browser which will give you a very good overview of your solution. Or you can generate XML that can be read into one of the many very strong analytic tools that exist for FIleMaker.

• 4. Re: How can I print scripts ?
                beverly

Yes on DDR. Keep in mind that there may be errors (missing data) in the HTML output. XML output seems to be complete (check the Issues forum!), but of course are not as easy to 'interpret'.

I will print tables and scripts to PDF in addition to taking screen shots and printing blank layouts. AND run the DDR.

beverly

• 5. Re: How can I print scripts ?
                  keywords

On my Mac I find the most useful Print option for scripts is Open PDF in Preview, as it opens the script in a format that is instantly copiable without having to first save it anywhere. This is an OSX option; I don't know if there is an equivalent in Windows.

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 8.15.39 am.png

• 6. Re: How can I print scripts ?
                    CarstenLevin

Beverly about the XML based version of the DDR:

but of course are not as easy to 'interpret'.

Or .. it may actually be easier. The XML version are ready to be imported and interpreted by external report tools.

Have a look at:

BaseElements | Goya Pty Ltd

or

FMDiff compares FileMaker Files, Clones, and Backups

and that's just two of the available tools.

Just to give you an impression

Best regards

Carsten

• 7. Re: How can I print scripts ?
                      beverly

but not 'natively' ready to read as-is, for most. Post processed with anything that can "read" the XML and convert into a more digestible format? you bet! I roll my own XSLT as needed.

beverly