3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 10:26 AM by chihuas

Find records on related tables

chihuas

I am using Filemaker pro 13 advanced

I have two files: Properties and PropertyValue History. for each property there are several value history records, I have a list layout including both files, the value history file has the year of the corresponding value and the PropertyID, The property file has a field called status which can have a value of active or inactive.

I need to select records of active properties for a specific year. When Y perform a find using the two parameter I do not get the correct number of records, I only get the records for the requested year but whit properties with active and inactive status.

I will appreciate your help, I do not have enough experience with filemaker. Thank you

• 1. Re: Find records on related tables
          erolst

chihuas wrote:

When Y perform a find using the two parameter I do not get the correct number of records, I only get the records for the requested year but whit properties with active and inactive status.

The correct way to do this depends on what you're actually searching for – e.g. properties that also have a value in a given year, or only entries for a given year.

IIUC, you want to do the latter – then your List layout should be based on the PropertyValue table. Add the related field Property::status to the layout, switch to Find mode, enter the criteria in both fields, and search.

You should get a list of PropertyValue records for only the entered year AND only related to properties with the entered status. If you add the related Property::name field to the layout (and any other necessary related fields), each entry in your list is a complete display of a Property and its value in that year.

• 2. Re: Find records on related tables
            keywords

Your description seems a bit convoluted to me, but what I think you are describing suggests the simplest solution would be a portal on a Property layout that shows all the related records from the PropertyValue table. If you wish you could filter the portal to show only active records.

• 3. Re: Find records on related tables
              chihuas

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate the time you take to help others