AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to setup and trigger auto-enter calculation

Question asked by jeffmdm on Apr 27, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 by user19752

I have a product title field that is calculated based on various custom functions, which is all working fine now thanks to help from various people on this forum.  I now want to be able to manually edit the field contents to do some final touches, so I have read a bit about auto-enter calculation fields, and have set one up.  The problem is that it isn't populating with data and from what I've read so far I think the issue is that the field it pulls from has already been calculated so the auto-enter isn't being triggered.  But also perhaps I haven't set it up right to begin with. 

The auto-enter field is setup as type "text" and in the auto-enter tab of the options I checked "calculated value" and "do not replace existing value of field (if any)".  My thought on checking that was to keep FM14 from overwriting any edits I make.  The calculation entered is simply Trim ( Fixed Title ), with fixed title being the title that was fixed by prior calculations.  Under the validation tab the boxes checked are "only during data entry" and "allow user to override during data entry".  I have no storage turned on.

So first question, do I have it setup right - if not what should I change?

If it is setup right and the issue is triggering, what's the best/easiest means to get it to trigger, now and for future uses as new products are added and new edits need to be made?

thanks

Outcomes