1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2016 7:31 AM by mikebeargie

Flagging and multiple users

AndrewJudd

hi all, i have a field designated as a text field called "FLAG". This is a checkbox on form and list (table) views that users can use by means of creating a specific foundset of records. Check the box, hit find flagged records and you have your selection to work with. Quite a standard thing.

My question is what if several people are using the database on different accounts and both trying to use the flag checkbox to make their selections. They will have a conflict. When you hit find flagged you will get the other persons chosen records too.

What is the best way around this? Can you designate fields to be user specific? Or Is there a better solutions for flagging and finding foundsets in this way?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Flagging and multiple users
          mikebeargie

The problem with flagging records this way (aside from the conflict you already noticed) is that you also change the "last modified timestamp" for any record that gets flagged, when a true record modification really didn't take place.

A good way to "flag" and recall records is to do it virtually in memory.

Say for instance, a simple flag button with a single script step:

Set Variable [ $$Flagged ; List ( $$Flagged ; YourTable::YourPrimaryKey ) ]

and a slightly more complex, but still fairly quick recall script:

Enter Find Mode [ no pause ]

Set Variable [ $count ; ValueCount($$Flagged) ]

if [ $count = 0 ]

Enter Browse Mode

Exit Script

End If

Loop

Set Variable [ $i ; $i + 1 ]

Set Field [ YourTable::YourPrimaryKey ; "==" & GetValue( $$Flagged ; $i ) ]

Exit Loop If [ $i = $count ]

New Record/Request

End Loop

Perform Find

If you need to make it even more complex, where it saves the flagged results even if the user quits filemaker, you can replace the $$Flagged variable with a record in a simple table that corresponds to the user by Get(AccountName).

Seem good?

• 2. Re: Flagging and multiple users
            erolst

AndrewJudd wrote:

Can you designate fields to be user specific?

You can make them global – a global field is user-session specific – but that won't help you (directly) in marking records.

One way to solve this: use a global $$variable to add to and remove from the IDs of a selected record.

As a record selection flag, you could simply add an appropriate layout object (say, a graphic) and use Hide If with

IsEmpty ( FilterValues ( $$selectedIDs ; Table::ID ) )

To turn this selection list list into a found set, create a global text field, and a self-join relationship where

Table::gSelectedIDs = Table_self::ID

To find selected users, use this script:

If [ IsEmpty ( $$selectedIDs ) ]

Exit Script

End If

Set Field [ Table::gSelectedIDs ; $$selectedIDs ]

Go to Related Records [ Table_self ; current layout ; matching only )

You could also write a looping Find script, for which you'd need neither global field nor relationship.

• 3. Re: Flagging and multiple users
              mikebeargie

"You could also write a looping Find script, for which you'd need neither global field nor relationship."

Seems like that's the suggestion path I was on!

• 4. Re: Flagging and multiple users
                Mike Duncan

I like the looping find idea, but if your flags need to have any kind of permanence or resiliency, then this won't work.

Here's another way that would be multi-user safe and not cause modified stamps to update.

Create a global field for your persistent ID in the parent table

Create a table with at least these field: ID_parent, persistent_ID, flag

Now you just need a one to one relationship with the parent record that also uses the persistent ID (or user id) in a global on the left side. That way they are user specific, and also relate directly to the record they need to flag.

To clear the flag, you can either set the "flag" field on the related record or just GTRR and delete those.

Mike

• 5. Re: Flagging and multiple users
                  erolst

Mike Beargie wrote:

Seems like that's the suggestion path I was on!

We were both in Editing limbo while the other was writing his response.

btw, you can use Get ( RequestCount ) to calculate the exit condition.

• 6. Re: Flagging and multiple users
                    AndrewJudd

thanks chaps. I'm working with Mike's initial post above but when i try the find script i get a "no records match this criteria" dialog.

The primary keys are definetely being listed correctly as I've added the $$flagged variable to the layout to see it in action. Have I got the find script correct? What is the purpose of the new record set? Also I don't completely follow the $i bits? or why the = is in commas making it lose its function?

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 14.24.00.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 14.22.29.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 14.22.25.png

• 7. Re: Flagging and multiple users
                      AndrewJudd

ah sorry had a step slightly off it does work now.. however I'm curious what the new record/request step is for?

• 8. Re: Flagging and multiple users
                        mikebeargie

$i is a counter, it's just counting the number of times you're going through the loop. This is so it can exit when it has made find requests for each value in your $$Flagged list.

The "==" is the operator for exact match for a field. If you do not use it, your find can result in false positives as filemaker will include "825" and "8250", "8251" "8253", etc... in the find results because they all contain 825.

You are making a new find request each time through the loop (after the first record, which already has one from entering find mode), because you are doing OR searches. AND searches are done in the same find request.

EG: find records where ID = 825 OR ID = 826 OR ID=827. Versus: find records where ID > 800 AND someOtherField = SomeOtherValue...

Do you have script debugger to step through the script as it runs to make sure it's creating the proper find request?

• 9. Re: Flagging and multiple users
                          Mike Duncan

Here is a sample file with the technique I described. This also work normally in find mode.

• 10. Re: Flagging and multiple users
                            mikebeargie

Additionally, you may want to implement a custom function like this:

FileMaker Custom Function:RemoveValue ( Values ; ValuesToRemove )

In order to remove a primary key from your flag.

Don't use Substitute() to try and remove the value out of $$Flagged for the same reason why you need "==" for the find.

• 11. Re: Flagging and multiple users
                              AndrewJudd

Thanks Mlike, that all works a dream.

• 12. Re: Flagging and multiple users
                                AndrewJudd

Hi Mike, I'm trying to write a "flag all" script so a user can quickly flag all records in an existing foundset. Say after they have already done a find. The attached causes filemaker to freeze. Do you know why that is?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 17.20.09.png

• 13. Re: Flagging and multiple users
                                  DavidJondreau

Your Go to record [First] is inside the Loop. You need to put it before the Loop step.

• 14. Re: Flagging and multiple users
                                    AndrewJudd

man alive. sorry long day. thanks

1 2 Previous Next