6 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2016 8:02 AM by RickWhitelaw

FMS 14 backups

RickWhitelaw

I'm having an odd problem and wonder whether anyone else is experiencing this. For 2-3 years I've had 3 backup schedules: Hourly, Daily and Weekly backing up to an external usb drive. Lately when I open the admin console to cheque the status of the backups it's giving me a folder not found or aborted unexpectedly error message. When I edit the schedule sure enough it reports not a valid path. It is a valid path. So I close all files and restart the server machine (Mac mini OS X 10.11.4). Then the schedules run fine. After a day or two the errors come back and I have to do it all again. There is an OS account logged in at all times so the usb drive remains mounted. Of course a password is required to wake from display sleep. Computer is set to never sleep. Same with the drives. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: FMS 14 backups
          mikebeargie

Sounds like an OSX update is indeed forcing the drive to suspend. That's the only place I've seen that error pop up.

My normal procedure is to backup to the local drive, then have time machine or write a LAUNCHD command to copy the files from the local backup directory to the remote volume.

If you want to look into writing launchd, highly recommend LaunchControl:

soma-zone: LaunchControl

You can save on local drive space (if concerned) by unchecking files that do not regularly change from your hourly backup. It might make sense to redesign an archive file for this purpose if you have gobs of container data and huge internal file sizes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FMS 14 backups
            wimdecorte

Mike Beargie wrote:

My normal procedure is to backup to the local drive, then have time machine or write a LAUNCHD command to copy the files from the local backup directory to the remote volume.

I want to emphasize this approach.

Trying to backup to a non-internal volume is always going to be fraud with permissions issue (not to mention the security risk of leaving a server logged in with a user account).

As Mike stated: it's fairly easy to set up a routine that will copy an FMS backup to the other volume.  The BIG benefit is that you will always be sure that you will actually have the backup on the internal drive.

• 3. Re: FMS 14 backups
              RickWhitelaw

Thanks Wim,

The admin console wouldn't accept the file path for local backups! So I tried:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/autodiskmount AutomountDisksWithoutUserLogin -bool true

to to keep the drive mounted. Seems to be working . . .

• 4. Re: FMS 14 backups
                RickWhitelaw

I replaced the drive and all is well. Faulty Seagate.

• 5. Re: FMS 14 backups
                  mikebeargie

Just because you fixed that doesn't mean that you should ignore the GOOD advice that people here have given you. I wouldn't be so quick to stop improving your setup.

• 6. Re: FMS 14 backups
                    RickWhitelaw

Mike, I'm certainly not ignoring the excellent advice offered. However the first step was to replace a defective drive so the FMS backups can be moved there by Time Machine.