8 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 3:50 PM by JuliaOlsen

Error Message: This operation could not be completed because this layout cannot display the result.

JuliaOlsen

I have created a database which combines teachers, their teaching (district, school, grade level, content) with summer business work placements they hold through our program.

The tables are connected and everything is working well.  Except I am creating scripts which I or my researcher can call up particular sets of information. Most work well, but here's my current issue. We need to report for each year the number of teachers, where they worked, where they taught, etc. This involves linking three sets of data (tables): teacher data, education employment, and summer business work.  I am starting from the layout I wish to use (Teachers Companies and Schools), then finding the business employment records (from a linked table) for 2015, and finally showing related teacher records from their education employment history (which is a separate linked table).

I created a layout in table format with columns for the data we need: name, location, company name, district, school, etc.  The script looks like this.  The find is for the year 2015 and brings up all teacher summer employment for 2015.  Then I pull up related records to get where they were teaching and related information from the same table.

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 12.52.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 12.47.03 PM.png

I consistently get the error message "This operation could not be completed because this layout cannot display the result.". But when I close the error window, the correct information is displayed.  The script debugger also shows Error 414 Layout cannot display the result.

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 12.54.04 PM.png

So to reiterate, I am starting from the layout I wish to use (Teachers Companies and Schools), then finding the business employment records (from a linked table) for 2015, and finally showing related teacher records from their education employment history (which is a separate linked table).

Why am I getting this error message? How do I remedy it? Is there a better way to accomplish this task? I like this particular layout since it can be easily exported to Excel for inclusion in various reports.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Error Message: This operation could not be completed because this layout cannot display the result.
          user19752

You go to related records on "Education_Employment_History" table, so the layout should not be <Current Layout> it have source table as "Teacher_Data".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Error Message: This operation could not be completed because this layout cannot display the result.
            erolst

This is a common pitfall.

One should make it a habit of always checking that setting when using GtRR, because the default of <Current layout> is (with the possible exception of a self-join) always incorrect.

• 3. Re: Error Message: This operation could not be completed because this layout cannot display the result.
              alangodfrey

Filemaker is helpful in other ways, though - if you click the layout selector drop-down it will only offer you by default those layouts that are appropriate.

• 4. Re: Error Message: This operation could not be completed because this layout cannot display the result.
                JuliaOlsen

Well...this isn't turning up the results like I need them to be.  Let me regroup (and the image below shows the relationships I have tried to describe here):

• I have a table of teacher demographic data (Teacher Data) .  It has a match ID called "Teacher ID"
                • I have a table of participating companies (Business Records) It has a match ID called "Business ID"
                • I have a table of where participants are teaching during the school year (Education Employment).  It has a "School ID" match field and connects with Teacher Data via "Teacher ID". It gets its information from another table (AllSchoolData) through the "School ID" field.
                • I have a table of participating companies where our participants work in the summer.  It has a "SummerWork ID" match field. This is the join table. This is connected to the teacher table via "Teacher ID" to the businesses via the "Business ID"

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 4.54.03 PM.png

So teachers have 1-4 summer employments over 1-4 years, businesses have multiple teachers each summer, and teachers have a record of education for every year I can track them. I have the database itself set up so I can see correct information for each teacher, each business and each school. But we need to do a summary report based on summer employment and where the participant was teaching the previous year.

I need to be able to search for all the teachers who had summer positions in any given year, and then find the schools where they were teaching in the same year.  For whatever reasons if I search for the year in "SummerWork" I get only the records for the year I requested.

If I search for any year within "Education Employment" I get a list of all the teachers in my database and where they were teaching that year, whether or not they were actually participating in summer work.

<<<BUT>>>when I search for the summer work year AND the teaching year the result is correct for the businesses where they worked (if I start from summer employment), but the teaching year consistently brings up the first record. I didn't catch this at first since very few of our participants have changed schools.  I need to have the report bring up the summer year (for example, 2015) and the related record from the previous year (in this case, school year 2014). 

I'm now feeling quite boggled!  I suspect there's a much better way to try to do this. I was getting (I think) correct information when I first tried working with a portal, but I was only getting one record per page.  I need a fresh viewpoint.

Thank you in advance.

• 5. Re: Error Message: This operation could not be completed because this layout cannot display the result.
                  Malcolm

Do you have a join table between Teachers and Schools? I think you'll need one.

Temporal relationships become complex quickly. You need to be able to relate the summer work placement to a time based record of employment.

A teacher could have employment at many schools over time. During their employment they are placed in summer work. You link a teacher to summer work using their employment record. Note that the setup pictured also gives you the capacity to keep track of a teacher who moves from one school to another during the summer work placement.

teacherPlacements.png

• 6. Re: Error Message: This operation could not be completed because this layout cannot display the result.
                    JuliaOlsen

Ok I'm working on this notion and thank you for your insight!  My newly created join table is showing a record count but no data so far...I'm still learning...  

I get your suggestion re: the employment  and placement start and end dates, and we do have an occasional teacher who changes teaching jobs over the summer. But since everything here runs on academic calendars (fall and spring) it's sufficient for our reporting purposes to know only the prior school year and the summer placement year. I'm not sure changing all my records over would be an advantage in my situation. If you have a reason why my current thinking isn't a good idea, please do let me know.

• 7. Re: Error Message: This operation could not be completed because this layout cannot display the result.
                      Malcolm

There's no need to make it more complicated than it needs to be. Use Fall and Spring if they are sufficient. Obviously you need to know which year it is. The important thing is to have the correct structures for your needs.

• 8. Re: Error Message: This operation could not be completed because this layout cannot display the result.
                        JuliaOlsen

Yes I'm definitely trying to keep it simple.  For some reason I can't get my head wrapped around how this should work with the added join table.   Would you help me identify where I'm going wrong.

1. I have created the join table similar to what you have indicated in your schematic above.

2. I have created a layout based on that table which pulls (should pull)  required information from the SummerWork table and from the EducationEmployment Table, where the teacher ID is the same.

If I use SummerWork within the layout (show records from: ) then I can successfully get the correct work records.  I get the first (oldest) record from Education Employment.

If I start fromTeacher Data  in the layout I can get the oldest record from both SummerWork and EducationEmployment

And as you might predict, If I start from Education Employment I get all the teachers who have a record of Education Employment for the summer, whether or not they had a Summer Work position.

What I want to be able to do is search the SummerWork table for a given year (say 2015) and get the teachers who worked in that summer and their EducationEmployment for the previous year (in this example, 2014).

I am feeling so confused.