4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2016 2:54 PM by Extensitech

FMS 14 - When all the bugs will be fixed?

andriusvas

Its my second time with setting up FMS 14 server on the virtual PC. I had never so much issues with any other software. We are using FMS on our server, but i dont want to do anything with that one. It seems like after every small change, it makes millions of troubles.Idea is to use FMS PHP module for making custom web page to edit records. History:

I have tried to install WS 2008 R2 on virtual PC first time only for testing, to avoid making a problems in real server. Installed first time, it was looking ok, After some windows updates, i couldn't access to admin console. Reinstalled FMS. It was working for a while. After Java update the same issues. Reinstalled FMS once more, i can access to admin console, but i cant access to PHP page (function enabled in admin console). It seems like after every small move like windows update, java update, reboot of server some of the part its not working.

Im professional IT technician, have advanced skills of PHP developing but i thought that maybe i have made some mistakes. I have tried to do everything once more.

New virtual PC. Clean installation of WIN Server 2008 R2. Update of IE11, checked security settings, update of JAVA. Installation of FMS 14. And once more i have the same troubles. I cant access to admin console. It shows only "Please wait while FMS 14 Admin console starts..." .

While admin console was working first time, i had been logged out while i was active, and configured it, without any reason. ON/OFF buttons was not working properly too. I was searching for solution, and only one solution what i could find is - reinstall FMS. Its very professional. Just perfect - after every win, java, IE update - reinstall FMS...

Questions for developers:

Will all these bugs be fixed or this Apple product will be slowly closed for WIN as has been done with Safari browser? When we will get stable product for Windows server?

• 1. Re: FMS 14 - When all the bugs will be fixed?
          Extensitech

While I can't definitively rule out a bug or bugs in your particular environment, I can testify that we have FMS14 on our Windows Server, and support a number of FMS14/WIN servers, and your description doesn't match our experiences. If it is a bug, I don't see evidence that it's a bunch of them ("all the bugs") being flagrantly ignored.

Instead of making the bold assumption that FM is indifferent to bugs, and furthermore particularly indifferent to Windows users, have you considered contacting FM tech support, which is offered free for installation issues with FMS?

As a "professional IT technician", I'm sure you're familiar with the tendency of users to (quite understandably) not catch their own mistakes, and to assume that anything that goes wrong, no matter how specific and particular, is a widespread bug and emblematic of gross negligence on the part of IT.

Again, I can't say you haven't found a bug, but why not take advantage of the free tech support that's offered so you can a) get this done and b) find out if there really is a bug, and let us all know what it is if there is?

btw: FileMaker is currently owned by Apple, but it was cross-platform long before that and continues to work well, and fairly seamlessly, across both Mac and PC platforms. That's a main selling point of FileMaker, and FileMaker knows it. I'm primarily PC, and while I'm outnumbered, I'm far from being alone. I sometimes wish I had more company on the "dark side", but at this point I think we're very far from being on the verge of abandonment.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FMS 14 - When all the bugs will be fixed?
            wimdecorte

I was searching for solution, and only one solution what i could find is - reinstall FMS. Its very professional. Just perfect - after every win, java, IE update - reinstall FMS...

FMS is actually remarkably stable, especially on Windows.  The thing is that you do not want to install every single Windows or Java update.  Not on a stable production server, not without testing it on a staging server and generating enough load on it to make sure it behaves like you need it to.  That's the normal approach, not just with FM.

Questions for developers:

Will all these bugs be fixed or this Apple product will be slowly closed for WIN as has been done with Safari browser? When we will get stable product for Windows server?

You haven't really defined "all these bugs" or given indication that you have support tickets with FMI support on them or what their status are.

I get your frustration, but I think you are just lashing out.  And that's fine, there is something to be learned from your experience.

You shouldn't worry about FileMaker products being closed down for Windows; most FileMaker deployments are on Windows actually.

• 3. Re: FMS 14 - When all the bugs will be fixed?
              wimdecorte

I'm primarily PC, and while I'm outnumbered, I'm far from being alone. I sometimes wish I had more company on the "dark side",

There really is no "dark side" here.  FileMaker is and always has been cross-platform.  While it may seem that a lot of developers on this forum tend to be from the Mac side that does not reflect the actual install base of FileMaker.

• 4. Re: FMS 14 - When all the bugs will be fixed?
                Extensitech

Thanks, Wim. I do know that.

I should've put a next to that (particularly the "dark side" phrase) but I was already a couple of emojis in and starting to feel like a teenager on facebook. (Big .. not trying to slam facebook... or teenagers... or emojis...).

Thanks for reinforcing the point that while Apple's involved at the corporate level, FileMaker has been and continues to be firmly dual-platform, and a great product for Windows as well as Macs.

Chris Cain

Extensitech