8 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2016 10:57 AM by RickWhitelaw

I need to replace my copy of FMPA

lee

My hard drive became corrupt and I lost my copy of FileMaker Pro Advance 11, and need to replace it. I have looked for my backup, and do not see it. I think Time Machine only backups the documents? Anyway, I need it now. At one time, there was a place here (FileMaker inc), where we could download the Applications, but I do not see any links for that.

Please Help,

Lee

• 1. Re: I need to replace my copy of FMPA
          jormond

Do you still have your license key?

• 2. Re: I need to replace my copy of FMPA
            lee

Yes I do.

• 3. Re: I need to replace my copy of FMPA
              lee

Thanks Josh,

I found my copy but it seems strange that the owner of their software can’t go right to it.

Lee

• 4. Re: I need to replace my copy of FMPA
                CarstenLevin

Hi Lee,

I found my copy but it seems strange that the owner of their software can’t go right to it.

An understandable point, but I think it is the standard. Can we get an old Photoshop or an old Excel from Adobe or Microsoft?

FileMaker will some time offer downgrades from a higher version to a lover, but I am not sure about the procedure. And FileMaker 11 is very very outdated.

Best regards

Carsten

• 5. Re: I need to replace my copy of FMPA
                  jormond

I had an off-site conversation with @lee. I believe he is referencing a

different issue about Apple and OS X and a security warning when you

install FM.

As a side point, I have gotten legacy versions from each of those

companies.

Also, we have to keep 11 around to support client and future clients that

are still running it.

• 6. Re: I need to replace my copy of FMPA
                    CarstenLevin

we have installers of most legacy FIleMaker versions, all the way back to 2.1. If it is legal and accepted by FileMaker Inc we will of course help any of those who need one and who has their own license numbers.

Most of our servers are running 14, but we still have one 11 server. And until last year we also had one FileMaker 5.5 (6) server:-)

• 7. Re: I need to replace my copy of FMPA
                      alc

Somewhat off-Topic: , you wrote:

I think Time Machine only backups the documents?

In fact Time Machine) backs up Everything**. 

THE BIG GOTCHA: once space has been used up on your backup disk, it deletes the oldest files -( I don't believe it considers file type at all. not sure if it considers anything else. ) So not surprisingly, Apps which you've likely installed first, or migrated to a new computer, have a good chance of going bye-bye.

Apple recommends that TM backup disk be 3x the size of your hard drive. I doubt even that would be total protection.

My reccomendation: You should always also have a "Duplicate" type backup as well. ( regardless of the brand of incremental style backup ). For mac, I'd recommend the very simple "SuperDuper" There are a bunch of other reasons to maintain a duplicate which I won't get into..  (BUT SEE NOTE BELOW, about avoiding your duplicate disk from Time Machine)

**the only way to prevent this is to add a disk, folder etc to Privacy settings under Time Machine Prefs.

• 8. Re: I need to replace my copy of FMPA
                        RickWhitelaw

To add: it is not a good idea to allow Time Machine to back up live FMP files.