2 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2016 2:22 PM by jurgmay

Importing data from the live file into the latest development file

jurgmay

Hi all,

I've been reading on here recently how awful an idea it is to make updates to a live file hosted on FileMaker Server. OK. I've been doing that. Not doing it anymore!

However it leads me to ask - are there any 'best practices' or gotchas to be aware of when updating the live file with the latest 'release' file? Is it best to remove the 'live' file, replace with the latest development release file (with no data) and then import the data from the 'live' file? If so, I assume that would be done with Auto Enter options turned OFF - correct?

I wanted to deploy a new update this weekend as there will be no users connected to the database so I'd appreciate any pointers before I do it.

Thanks,

Juerg

• 1. Re: Importing data from the live file into the latest development file
          mikebeargie

My pointer would be to write a script that imports all of the data from the old file, and keep that up to date as you progress with your changes. That way you just need to point to the old data source and run a script to cut over to the new file.

Also, in this use case, UUIDs are almost always better as primary keys than serial numbers are. If you are using serial numbers you will need to go into every serial number and update the "next serial value". Or you can write a script as part of your import script that does that as well (check out the "set next serial value" script step).

Backup BOTH files before starting, just in case.

For speed, make sure both files are on the same machine when transferring data.

Definitely unhost the old file before continuing. But you don't have to host the new file until after you run the import.

This has been discussed at length before. Might be worth it to do a google search and search of these forums to read through what's out there.

• 2. Re: Importing data from the live file into the latest development file
            jurgmay

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your advice. It seems straightforward enough but I didn't want to screw anything up by naively assuming it would be easy!

I'm using UUIDs rather than serial numbers so that part should be OK.

I was clearly searching for the wrong things as I didn't find anything helpful on here or via Google!

Cheers,

Juerg