4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2016 4:29 PM by erolst

Help creating class lists

LMac

Hello:

I am an extremely low-level FileMaker user but with the help of this community, have created a fairly basic data base that can be used to capture details about students, then add them to classes that are created in each session.

To do this, my database contains three tables: student details, class creation and student enrollment which adds the students and classes together. Once a student and a class are added to the database, the user can add the student into a class:

Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 11.25.39 AM.png

This creates the following (in which I have made up students' names):

Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 11.37.05 AM.png

If it helps to know, each teacher and each class also have ID numbers and have created the following relationships:

Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 11.47.15 AM.png

I would like to create a list of students who enroll in each instructor's class by session and class name. For example (using the details above):

HEADER:

Instructor: MC

Class: LS2 AM

Session: 12.5

----

BODY:

Peter Cetera Phone number(s)

Anne Frank Phone number(s)

I appreciate any help the community may provide. As I mentioned, I am pretty new at this, so please don't be concerned about giving me too much information or insulting my intelligence. Neither are at risk

Thank you so much for your time.

Lara

• 1. Re: Help creating class lists
          erolst

Lists for display or for printing?

For the former, a portal based the Enrolment table would be an easy solution; for the latter, create a list layout based on the Enrolment table.

How are the enrolment records created at the moment, i.e how do you add students to a class?

• 2. Re: Help creating class lists
            LMac

Hello:

Thank you for your reply.

It is for printing. The organization wants to be able to print a class list for each instructor and provide it to him/her at the start of the 7 week course.

As for your second question, the following screen puts the students into the course:

Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 11.25.39 AM.png

So, the student is chosen, and the class (which is attached to the teacher when the class is set up) is selected through drop-down menus. A session is chosen at the right side based upon the date (i.e. current session is session 12.5 and goes for seven weeks starting May 5). Did I understand your question correctly?

Thank you of your time.

Lara

• 3. Re: Help creating class lists
              erolst

Sorry, I should have paid more attention; you already described this in your initial post.

As mentioned, a list layout based on the enrolment table is the best way to create a print layout.

From a Class layout, you could use this script:

Go to Related Record [ from: Enrolment ( Enrolment ) ; layout: ClassList_print ; matching only ]

Sort Records [ Enrolment::session ascending ]

assuming a newly created layout ClassList_print, based on Enrolment.

This will find all the Enrolment records (.i.e. Students) for the class. Display the desired fields from the related Class record in the header, and the fields from Student in the body. 

If you want to see the class broken down by session, add a sub-summary part sorted by session, put in the session field, and sort by session.

Note also the Layout Setup option to print several columns, which may be appropriate for a directory-style printout.

• 4. Re: Help creating class lists
                erolst

Hi Lara –

as promised, find attached a sample file for you to inspect.

Oliver